Author Topic: antique reverse painting on glass  (Read 5990 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: antique reverse painting on glass
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 03:24:01 pm »
maybe,s the time you should be thinking of an upgrade to those $1 specials...i found the perfect pair... ;D

http://www.sillyjokes.co.uk/bottle-bottom-specs
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 03:26:36 am »
  A stained glass window would not be likely, since it is reverse painted !! 

Well now Mart, you are more trusting than I am about auctioneers actually knowing what they are selling.

Auctionaddiction stated in the 1st post, to wit:

they called it a antique reverse painting on glass. i know nothing about it.

It looks the same to me, front or back, which makes me think it is in the glass, not on it.

I think that is a "sleeper" ..... and the reason the Bishop got so excited about it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 09:46:42 am »
Could be Cogar !!  Might be encased but can`t look at it to tell so have to take someones word for it !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 12:28:37 pm »
can you take a pic of the edge of the glass..in order that it can be determined if this is two pieces of glass, stuck together,

auctionaddiction

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 02:32:04 pm »
bigwull, here's some pictures of the edge of the glass. It looks like one piece to us. You can see where there is an area of small chips around the edge. I also included another photo of the piece out in the sunlight. Thank you for the replies.

I strictly collect and do not resell, but I still like to know information & value of items I purchased at auctions to see if I did well. Really appreciate your help & advice.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 02:58:25 pm »
One piece of glass it is then....nowt encased between.....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 07:02:49 pm »
Doe the front and the back feel the same !! If reverse painted you can feel the paint, it will be different rougher and more dull than the glass front !! If both feel the same and all you can feel is the glass, then the pic is encased within the glass !!  Looking at the edge,, it very likely did,, as others said, come from a window !! 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2013, 07:26:45 pm »
http://www.stcharlesbklyn.org/history/stained-glass-windows/

Seems the HNS donated a lot of stained glass windows !!  This is the technique for yours I think !!  Bottom look at The Good Shephard !! It was donated by HNS !!  I couldn`t get it to come up so I didn`t get to see last few !! Would be nice if this was made by the same company as these,, and its possible !! They had a NY office but all stained glass was made in Germany and shipped here !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 04:40:56 am »
In the 16th century a range of glass stains were introduced, most of them coloured by ground glass particles. They were a form of enamel. Painting on glass with these stains was initially used for small heraldic designs and other details. By the 17th century a style of stained glass had evolved that was no longer dependent upon the skilful cutting of coloured glass into sections. Scenes were painted onto glass panels of square format, like tiles. The colours were then annealed to the glass before the pieces were assembledhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stained_glass

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2013, 04:49:31 am »
The above were made late 1800`s through early 1900`s !!  This one possibly from that time period !!  Still trying to find it ,, they gave stained glass windows to several religious groups/churches !!