Author Topic: Hoosier or not?  (Read 6814 times)

BPoland

• View Profile
Hoosier or not?
« on: March 26, 2013, 09:04:08 am »
Trying to find any information about this Hoosier style cabinet.  It has a metal top to it and has the sow belly bins.  It does not have any tags on it that I can find.  This was my wife's grandmothers cabinet and she inherited it when her grandmother passed away.  We are having it restored and would like to find out some more information about it.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Bryce

mart

• View Profile
Re: Hoosier or not?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 09:47:34 am »
It isn`t a true Hoosier style as we know it,, but it is a country cupboard from the 1930`s !!  These were made by many mfrs !!  In the 1930`s and into the 40`s the trend was to streamline and modernize and most everything in the kitchen went up on legs !!  Stoves and refrigerators included !! Hoosiers were less popular as cabinets were starting to be built in kitchens so the lady of the house no longer needed some of the Hoosiers features !!  A nice little cabinet though and as a family piece well worth restoring !!

BPoland

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 11:31:02 am »
It isn`t a true Hoosier style as we know it,, but it is a country cupboard from the 1930`s !!  These were made by many mfrs !!  In the 1930`s and into the 40`s the trend was to streamline and modernize and most everything in the kitchen went up on legs !!  Stoves and refrigerators included !! Hoosiers were less popular as cabinets were starting to be built in kitchens so the lady of the house no longer needed some of the Hoosiers features !!  A nice little cabinet though and as a family piece well worth restoring !!
Is there any information on these types of cabinets?  Would like to see what colors they were painted back in the day so that we can keep it somewhat original.  Any idea on a value of this piece?  Thank you for any help.  It would be neat to find the history on this.  Thanks again.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 12:10:34 pm »
Not that I have seen online ,, if you knew where your family purchased it there might be old ads from that store you could pull up !!  Only color I have seen them in is white with tiny red or black pin striping around drawers/doors and some had a floral decal in center of doors  !!  Sometimes the pulls matched the striping and were also red/black !!  Slightly deeper color red than fire engine red !!
Not a lot of value in these,,, about $100. or less in most areas

BPoland

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 12:14:13 pm »
Not that I have seen online ,, if you knew where your family purchased it there might be old ads from that store you could pull up !!  Only color I have seen them in is white with tiny red or black pin striping around drawers/doors and some had a floral decal in center of doors  !!  Sometimes the pulls matched the striping and were also red/black !!  Slightly deeper color red than fire engine red !!
Not a lot of value in these,,, about $100. or less in most areas
Thank you for the help.  I will see what I can find out and let you know.  Talk to you later.

Bryce

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 06:08:30 pm »
Nice old cupboard to still have in the family.
Knowing that furniture descriptions are regional...in my area these are referred to as "Baker's Cupboards / Cabinets". I've always assumed that the later "Hoosier style" cupboard evolved from these simpler designs.
It's possible that factory painted models of this style were offered at the time, although I have never seen one. ???
Here's a little background information:
http://maryeaudet.hubpages.com/hub/Hoosier-Cabinet

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 06:24:19 pm »
Yes Rauville,, these were painted many time over during the years !!  Have see one or two that still had part of the original paint left !! I helped a dealer in the next town with her shop while she had Chemo and she had two that she used back to back in her shop for display of graniteware !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 06:33:24 pm »
Mart;
Yes, I've seen any number of the 1920's - 30's cupboards that had their factory paint jobs. But, I was referring to the earlier "possum bellies" like the one in question. In my defense, I live a rather sheltered life. 8)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 07:00:37 pm »
http://maryeaudet.hubpages.com/hub/Hoosier-Cabinet#

I stand corrected !!  According to this person, the Hoosier did evolve from the bakers cabinet !!  Although they were both in use in 20`s, 30` and 40`s !! 

BPoland

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 07:30:09 pm »
Guys,

Thanks for the help.  I do appreciate it.  I was told that this might be before the "hoosier" era but I had never seen anything like this.  It will get passed on in the family as we get it refinished and learn more about it.  It is a cool piece.  I have plenty of old antique kitchen utensils to fill it up with!  I will try and remember to post pics when I get it back.  Thanks again.  Talk to you soon. 

PS. If you come across any other information related to the "bakers cabinets", please pass along.  I would really appreciate.

bryce

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 07:36:07 pm »
I will look more tomorrow !!  Post pics when its finished !!  Would love to see it !!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 08:59:15 pm »
BPoland.......first ly, welcome to the forum!

You might want to check out Tales (talesofthesevenseas) post from the Projects section. We got to follow her purchase of a baker's cabinet/possum belly hoosier from finding it right through to it's transformation.

http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=6351.0

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 03:08:46 am »
It has a metal top to it

BPoland, is the metal top .... tin over wood, and if so, does it look original or like it was installed by a homeowner? 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 05:48:04 am »
Didn`t the earlier ones have an enameled top ??

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 06:33:50 am »
Mart;
Yes, I've seen any number of the 1920's - 30's cupboards that had their factory paint jobs. But, I was referring to the earlier "possum bellies" like the one in question. In my defense, I live a rather sheltered life. 8)
Why am I not surprised....it,ll be that big book of yours,.. :D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,