Author Topic: Dunbar China Cabinet question..  (Read 5589 times)

Phonzu2

• View Profile
Dunbar China Cabinet question..
« on: March 28, 2013, 04:11:50 pm »
I am looking to get rid of this piece of furniture but I have no knowledge of the antique business or how to go about selling this thing. I was going to post it on Craigslist but googled it and saw this thing has some value. So my questions are.. What would be the best way to get a fair appraisal on this? Where would be the best places to list it? Is it better to sell locally or would I get a substantial difference if I decided to ship it? I live in Miami so if anyone knows a business here that could help me out it would be appreciated! I have attached a picture, it should show the piece in very good condition but not restored.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 04:19:10 pm by Phonzu2 »

Phonzu2

• View Profile
Re: Dunbar China Cabinet question..
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 04:16:24 pm »
Pic

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 07:09:55 pm »
I am not an expert but pieces attributed to Edward Wormley from the mid century have commanded very good prices at auction. This looks like it is from that period and may be one of his designs. He is well known for his seating pieces and tall case pieces are uncommon from what I have read.. Also labeled pieces of Dunbar are rare. You did well not putting it on Craigslist. I would research it as much as possible. You are in one of the best areas to sell it. Miami, Chicago, Southern California and New York are strong markets for mid century designer pieces. Do your homework on this piece. Even if it is a later example and not from Wormley it could still bring over 1000.00 with the right crowd at auction.
I really believe its Wormley. Check out this piece from Treadway Gallery. They are asking 4000.00. Have a nice weekend!

http://www.treadwaygallery.com/onlinecat/march0407/images/large/979.jpg

http://www.treadwaygallery.com/onlinecat/march0407/unsold3.html
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 07:21:44 pm by frogpatch »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 07:34:35 pm »
What is selling best are his upholstered pieces and the more unique designed chairs !! You might look in the yellow pages for a gallery that specializes in mid century modern furniture for an appraisal !!  Designer pieces from that era are doing well in many metro areas !!  Do as Frogpatch suggested and research more !!  Most of his work is signed !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 07:43:13 pm »
Mart, did you see the picture from the gallery? It is almost identical. $4000.00 I think is the auction estimate.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 07:54:20 pm »
Just looked !!  Very similar in style !!  I saw another online somewhere with woven rosewood on the doors ( hope I remember right) !!  Might do OK with this one !!  There are a few diehard collectors out there but if they are wanting to sell this cabinet,, might wait till after April 15th for best price !!  Things are slow right now !!

Phonzu2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 01:10:57 am »
Awesome information!! Thank you so much for the help!

Ipcress

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 05:36:29 am by Ipcress »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 09:39:51 am »
 Did they sell at those prices ??

Phonzu2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 10:45:27 am »

We will find out! Will list on craigslist today while I explore other means of sale.

Ipcress

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 10:53:38 am »

Yes - sold.

Descriptions on the woods seem to vary though. Walnut and olive in one, dark mahogany and bleached rosewood elsewhere.

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 11:00:56 am »
Those auctions were in 2006 & 2007.   I don't know about your market, but here many prices have fallen significantly since then.  It is a beautiful piece though. GG

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 11:50:11 am »
Be careful on Craigslist. You are inviting pseudo experts that will try to convince you it is just a piece of used furniture. They may insult you, laugh at you and offer you 50 bucks to take it off your hands. Do not fall for their crap. Also make sure they do not come inside your house. I wrote a whole article called Craigslist - A Haven for Con Artists, Crooks and Scams. Am I a little paranoid. Yes, and rightly so. I would find a good Miami auction house that has a national following and sell it there. It is worth the fee.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 11:51:33 am »
Beautiful....hummmm m.....Well, there's no accounting for taste.

As Wull would say, food for the woodburner.  ;D ;  ;D ;D
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 12:17:15 pm »
Does that mean you don`t care for mid century modern Ghopper ?? ???