Author Topic: Fenton Carnival Glass?  (Read 7066 times)

owzitgarn

• View Profile
Fenton Carnival Glass?
« on: March 29, 2013, 11:05:05 am »
Hi All!

I'm very new to all of this so sorry if i come across a bit naive.

We've recently cleared out a house, and from looking around on the web we believe we may have a fenton carnival glass bowl.

The inside pattern appears to match the inside of google images for fenton bowls, but the shape of the bowl and the underside do not.

image share

upload img

What do people think? Is it worth anything?

owzitgarn

• View Profile
Re: Fenton Carnival Glass?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 11:09:11 am »
Also, this seems to have the same sort of shiny, rainbowy surface, although it didn't come out as well on the photo, is this carnival glass?

photo hosting

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 11:40:42 am »
What makes you think they are Fenton and not the original older pieces? Northwood produced the same grape pattern with basketweave in amethyst. Is there any trace of a mark on the bottom like a small circle with an N? Fenton was mostly produced in the latter hale of the century. Early carnival was produced in the first quarter of the century. Was there other old items in the house? It is really hard to tell form the pictures. Wear is not always present on old pieces. I had a water set that looked like it was made yesterday and was signed Northwood. I can't enlarge your picture because it is a share and sak me to download it which I won't do for security reasons.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 11:50:24 am »
I agree with frogpatch..
Northwood used a basketweave pattern on the outside of some of their "Grape and Cable" pieces. What is the size of yours?

Your second piece is a marigold "Double Stem Rose" bowl by Dugan.

owzitgarn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 12:12:29 pm »
Thanks for the replies!

Like I said, I honestly don't know much about this. It was just through google image searches and ebay that I found fenton used the pattern.

Unfortunately there are no markings on the base. It is a basket weave. There is a seam on the underside that runs all the way from the edge to where the base is formed.

How were these things made? Were they painted? On the black part of the base you can see where some of the black has faded or been rubbed off and it looks silvery...although still iridescent?

There were a few other old glass items in the house:

a glass jar and glass vase that my Grandma tells me could perhaps be "cranberry glass"?

a glass set comprising of a tray, 2 bowls, 2 candlesticks, a larger bowl, and  something that looks like a small shallow bowl with a "tower" in the middle. These are all tinted blue.

There is a rose bowl, with a gold coloured lid (possibly gold plated?)

2 large decanters with crystal cut stoppers

and another glass set comprising of a tray, 2 candlesticks and a bowl, these are clear glass

If any of those seem worth posting let me know and I'll try and get a few pictures up.

Thanks very much for the ID on the second item as well Rauville, much appreciated  ;D

owzitgarn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 12:13:54 pm »
I forgot to say, it's 9" diameter

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 12:24:06 pm »
If the color looks like it has rubbed off ,, it may be one of the look alike pieces made in the 60`s and 70`s !! Can you take a pic of that area and post it ?? It first hit me as a later repro because the color is not quite right for Northwood or Fenton !!

owzitgarn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 12:40:09 pm »
Thanks Mart,

I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a look alike.

Pic is below:

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 05:26:04 pm »
I am not seeing any place that looks rubbed off !!  Normally that would have happened on the higher points and I don`t see it !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 05:42:28 pm »
And we all know why that is..... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 06:45:17 pm »
Do you see it Wullie ???  These specs are pretty good when I am not running in 40 different directions !!  At least almost through with garden now !! Two rows of potatoes, one red, one white, 10 bunches onions, 68 tomato plants, ( cut down from last year) 42 pepper plants (not finished with those), 36 cabbage, 6 rows each (big garden) sweet corn and purple hull peas, 1 row okra And a lot of misc, stuff !!   And you wonder why I couldn`t see ???

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 07:03:34 pm »
Do you see it Wullie ???  These specs are pretty good when I am not running in 40 different directions !!  At least almost through with garden now !! Two rows of potatoes, one red, one white, 10 bunches onions, 68 tomato plants, ( cut down from last year) 42 pepper plants (not finished with those), 36 cabbage, 6 rows each (big garden) sweet corn and purple hull peas, 1 row okra And a lot of misc, stuff !!   And you wonder why I couldn`t see ???
and what do you do with your "lady  fingers"...thats the first time i,ve heard them being grown...I use them a lot when i,m making Indian curries..."not Plains Indians.... ;D.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 07:40:50 pm »
If you mean the peppers,, Bells, I cook with,, jalapeno,into picante sauce ect,, cayenne,, I eat !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 07:55:24 pm »
If you mean the peppers,, Bells, I cook with,, jalapeno,into picante sauce ect,, cayenne,, I eat !!
Noooooooooooo!! Not..the peppers....Lady Fingers.= Okra....also known ...as dead mans fingers in some parts of the UK....

owzitgarn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 02:36:24 am »
 it's right on the rim of the raised black part.

where the rest of it is black,  there is a small part that looks more " silvery"  as if the black has rubbed off... it's at about 8  o'clock  if you think of the black part as a clockface