Author Topic: Primative cabinets  (Read 3306 times)

suesyl

• View Profile
Primative cabinets
« on: March 30, 2013, 03:41:55 pm »
These cabinets were found in the basement of the house. Not stacked as you see here. They are slightly different in color. The lower cabinet is 30H x 45w x 28d. The pulls look like copper. The top is probably zinc without tears, but some markings. It has a three inch backboard. The upper cabinet is 53h x39w x 17d. I need the storage and didn't have room to separate so I stacked them. All of the hardware looks original. We are in farm country Iowa, what would the value and age of the pieces? The house was built in 1865.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Primative cabinets
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 03:49:21 pm »
The top half is made of pine...i,d say around 1890,s...value in UK..for top/bottom.approx £200 = $300
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Ipcress

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 04:04:35 pm »
I think the top half is later than the base and has been stained / varnished.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 04:21:31 pm »
Well, I think you,ve got it arse to elbow,the top half looks older, what with the style of hasp,and the external hinges....the pannelling is almost identical,...but i,d, say these were not a pair...two different styles that share similar designs,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 04:35:18 pm »
Can you open up those bottom doors and get close ups of pulls and drawer dovetails !!  Bit closer shot of the whole thing would be good too !!

Ipcress

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 05:08:28 pm »
Nah, close up the top half looks newer. Less worn, metal looks newer, finish on the wood. Not as well constructed as the base. Those hinges shouldn't be on those doors.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 05:45:57 pm »
Can you open up those bottom doors and get close ups of pulls and drawer dovetails !!  Bit closer shot of the whole thing would be good too !!
If you get any closer to it you,ll be sitting inside it,once i open it..the little + in the magnifying glass takes me closer.... ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 06:02:19 pm »
Nah, close up the top half looks newer. Less worn, metal looks newer, finish on the wood. Not as well constructed as the base. Those hinges shouldn't be on those doors.
If you had looked at the construction of the doors properly you would have noticed that they could not accept a butt hinge,.as the panelling .is not thick enough,..Ok, they might have got away with fitting 2 x butts to the cross members...but when it came to screwing the butts to the sides, the screws would have been too small to carry the weight,.hence the reason for 3 external hinges per side,....but i have no doubt you,ll have an answer for that...so....my parting shot will be....

You say yes, I say no. You say stop and I say go go go, oh no. You say goodbye and I say hello Hello ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 07:18:25 pm »
I think they are both approx 1940 or so !! Those hinges are from that era as are the magnetic closures !!  Even though they look similar they are not one piece !! Bottom has had that metal top added so it is earlier didn`t use that much going into 1950,, top is later in that era !! Still if finished to match pretty close,, you could sell it !!  I like it !! You have some good stuff in it too !! That water kettle would sell well !! Tupperware is also collectable now !!

Ipcress

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 07:51:04 pm »
If you had looked at the construction of the doors properly you would have noticed that they could not accept a butt hinge,.as the panelling .is not thick enough,..Ok, they might have got away with fitting 2 x butts to the cross members...but when it came to screwing the butts to the sides, the screws would have been too small to carry the weight,.hence the reason for 3 external hinges per side,....but i have no doubt you,ll have an answer for that...so....my parting shot will be....

You say yes, I say no. You say stop and I say go go go, oh no. You say goodbye and I say hello Hello ;D

;D

Old Paul's looking a bit antiquey now

Ipcress

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 07:53:33 pm »
You have some good stuff in it too !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 08:04:02 pm »
So would you,if you,ve had the life he has had.... ;D...i prefer this one...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 08:10:19 pm »
I like country items !!  And they are pretty hot selling items right now,, at least here in the U.S !!  Rust and country primitives are the in thing !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 08:32:30 pm »
Here you are just what you need.....but then again...what good would it do you...seeing as how you,re stuck in the Dark Age Boonies.... ;D...gawd,what am i thinking....you have a Wal-Mart..close by...so there must be civilisation of sorts at your disposal...

http://pinterest.com/kbev42/primitive-look/

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 04:19:11 am »
Well for sure it is a "married" piece. With kitchen cupboards the upper doors seldom if ever ..... "sweep" the countertop when they are opened.

So, either the top part is newer with its new looking "butterfly" hinges and arched doors ...... or it was cut off the top of a flat-wall cupboard.

The zinc counter-top was a later renovation. See the tacks along the front edge.