Author Topic: Old but not Antique  (Read 1438 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Old but not Antique
« on: April 01, 2013, 04:47:25 am »
a couple of weeks ago Avril and I were in a little coffee shop cum gallery,whilst there we saw a really nice natural wood side table...it was,nt big, but had a big price tag...£299....Avril really liked it, but...it was out of our price range,...but i could see that she was really taken with this type of furniture,...So I thought, I could make something similar...I went to our local sawmill,..same place where i got the cedar wood for the worktops,..I bought 2 x pieces of Spalted Sycamore and Beech..for £40...and after a 4 days work, I,ve ended up with these 2 tables,I,m in the process of rubbing Danish Oil into them,then they will get a Beeswax finish...Avril,..will get a surprise when she comes home later today....and it looks like I could have a few more to make, as my neighbour has said she,d like two...Who knows..this might turn into a little cottage industry...
Just thought i,d add this link..to put things into perspective....my cedar worktop,started out as a 13ft x 3ft x 6in lump...which cost me me under £300...this lump....is..."I think maybe an April Fools joke..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/107-Long-Chunk-wood-free-form-coffee-table-smooth-finish-one-slab-amazing-/230930041624?pt=US_Tables&hash=item35c480cb18
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:12:06 am by bigwull »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Old but not Antique
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 05:05:30 am »
Those are nice and will really shine when you put the oil on them. ;D ;D

Make one and put it in that auction you go to all the time to see what it sells for.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 05:29:48 am »
Nice work......what does "spalted" mean?
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 07:22:50 am »
They remind me of George Nakashima's tables. Keep up the good work!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 07:28:00 am »
Nice work......what does "spalted" mean?
Spalted...is a disease that can affect the timber....see link...Spalted Maple...is used to make guitars...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spalting

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 05:53:09 pm »
See link...for pics of Spalted Wood...the sawmill from where i got the wood for my 2 tables...specialize in this type of Spalted  slab wood,..average price for a 5ft x 2ft x 3in slab is £20....I was up there today, and was looking at a larger piece...dining table size...7ft x 3ft x 4in...@ £60....i,ve already got orders for 4 more smaller tables...suffice to say...none of these tables will ever see the inside of my woodburner... ;D

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=spalted&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=whtaUfP-NYu2PaC1gKgE&ved=0CEIQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=624