Author Topic: Art value?  (Read 1096 times)

Rauville

• View Profile
Art value?
« on: April 03, 2013, 07:12:29 am »
I have a couple of signed original paintings by a listed artist. Placing a fair value on them seems simple enough...but I also have the signed preliminary oil studies for the corresponding paintings.  My question being: Do the studies add value to the final price, or do they just make for a hopefully more attractive package?

mart

• View Profile
Re: Art value?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 07:32:13 am »
Thats hard to say !! Depends on the artist !! If the artist is actively collected by patrons then it would add some value !!  Many people like to know the thought process that goes into a painting and the prelims would give some insight !!  Especially a well known one !!  Lesser known artists would just add to the package for salability, but would be a toss up if it would add value !!

Ipcress

Re: Art value?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 10:07:18 am »
I have a couple of signed original paintings by a listed artist. Placing a fair value on them seems simple enough...but I also have the signed preliminary oil studies for the corresponding paintings.  My question being: Do the studies add value to the final price, or do they just make for a hopefully more attractive package?

Undoubtedly. I've seen thousands paid for the studies alone, even if just graphite sketches.