Author Topic: SOLVED ! Possible Meissen or Tiefenfurt. ?  (Read 2429 times)

patpatt

• View Profile
SOLVED ! Possible Meissen or Tiefenfurt. ?
« on: April 06, 2013, 11:57:55 am »
Hi, and thanks in advance for any help. We recently inherited some pieces from my grandmother that she always claimed to be Meissen. Regardless of the authenticity of the pieces, I know that they are very old and beautiful. However it would be nice to know what you have and the correct history. below are the marks and a closeup of the first pattern...as I do have multiple pieces to inquire about, I will be patient and post only a piece or two. there are 11 soup plates, not sure how many cups and saucers, 2 tea pots, a small coffee pot  that I know of in the set. The cups you can almost see through they are so thin. I have researched as best I can, and some experts say it is a mark used by Tiefenfurt? (the "S" being for Silesia?)to copy Meissen and that his product was mainly exported to the USA to housewives who craved the fancy Meissen that was unobtainable. And if this is the case, is it worth anything other than the fact that it is lovely? Thanks again, i have really enjoyed learning from this forum!
Pat
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 12:36:29 pm by patpatt »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Possible Meissen or Tiefenfurt. ?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 01:21:37 pm »
That isn`t a Meissen mark that I have ever seen before !!

Ipcress

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 06:13:58 am »
That isn`t a Meissen mark that I have ever seen before !!

You can have Meissen with crossed swords and an S, usually representing the gilders mark, but these aren't Meissen. They're later, probably 20th century.

patpatt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 09:05:11 am »
thanks for the info....I was already pretty sure it is not Meissen,; I think it is some kind of mark from the Tiefenfurt/Silesia makers, although not sure. Anyway, thanks for the info!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 09:29:57 am »
http://www.marks4antiques.com/meissen-dresden-porcelain-marks.htm#sthash.YEGPynxv.dpbs
This would indicate that your set was made by Edme Samson who used the S to distinguish his crossed swords from Meissen originals after the royal factory sued him !!

Ipcress

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 09:49:54 am »
But Samson would not have " Germany " stamped on them. Also, they're later than Samson.

patpatt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 12:29:17 pm »
Well...after too much sitting and typing; look what I found! This looks identical to the pieces I have !  Check out bottom one on link     http://users.skynet.be/rutrene/meissen-imitations11.htm
Also here is a photo of a piece that sold online auction...again, marks and the piece itself look identical to what I have.                      http://www.aspireauctions.com/auction219/details/34496.html
That $65 sold is painful, but the hunt sure was fun! And I never give up. Thanks for the input, let me know if you all agree......and never fear I have more things to post !

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 01:10:20 pm »
But Samson would not have " Germany " stamped on them. Also, they're later than Samson.

That's true !!  Forgot about that when I was looking !!
Perhaps thats it even though it doesn`t have the country at all !! Could be that yours is later than the one that sold !! It is similar in style and decoration !!
Why would you be disappointed at that price,, it is excellent money for an imitation and todays market !! I would be saying Hurray !!!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 01:14:31 pm by mart »

Ipcress

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 01:59:45 pm »
Well...after too much sitting and typing; look what I found! This looks identical to the pieces I have !  Check out bottom one on link     http://users.skynet.be/rutrene/meissen-imitations11.htm
Also here is a photo of a piece that sold online auction...again, marks and the piece itself look identical to what I have.                      http://www.aspireauctions.com/auction219/details/34496.html
That $65 sold is painful, but the hunt sure was fun! And I never give up. Thanks for the input, let me know if you all agree......and never fear I have more things to post !

Be careful when looking at auction results. The hammer price being less than the estimate could be due to damage or restoration that wasn't catalogued or spotted by the auction house.

However, in this case i think they've done well to get £40 for it !

patpatt

• View Profile
Re: SOLVED ! Possible Meissen or Tiefenfurt. ?
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 02:49:09 pm »
Oh I am not buying, just using the info for identification...I really doubt it is worth the trouble for selling...

mart

• View Profile
Re: SOLVED ! Possible Meissen or Tiefenfurt. ?
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 03:39:15 pm »
Would look very pretty in a hutch for a keepsake !!