Author Topic: Antique Miniature Chest/Trinket Box with signature?  (Read 1452 times)

philn

• View Profile
Antique Miniature Chest/Trinket Box with signature?
« on: April 06, 2013, 09:42:34 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I'm grateful to have found this forum. I recently picked up this old box from an estate sale. Can't figure out the signature. It appears to be from a limited amount since it says no. 850. The metal is hammered and the cross on top sits about a inch higher at the highest point. Any help will be appreciated. I figured this could be from Finland,  England,  or France. I was also thinking St. Florian but no idea at this point. Here are two pictures. Thanks again.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique Miniature Chest/Trinket Box with signature?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 08:35:31 am »
Well there is no signature that I saw !!  The first two words are "made in" so it was meant as an export even if hand written !! Couldn`t see the country name well because of glare on pic !!  The number could be the style number which is common to find on mass produced items !!

philn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 10:01:31 am »
Thanks Mart. I wasn't sure about the signature. Originally I thought it said made in France but the word in looked like it had an extra letter. After a night of searching I think I came up with a possible theory.

I'm thinking it is from the 1700s made to order from France. Possibly came to America landing in Louisiana. This is just an idea so far.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 10:53:03 am »
I doubt that !! It would not have had " Made in" no matter what country it was from !! That was added in the 20th century !! Prior to 1912 it may or may not have even had the country as there was little if any requirement !!  The style number is another hint that it is a 20th century box !! There were many reproductions of old style boxes made  during the 1900`s !!  Chances are good that your box is at least mid century !!

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 11:17:04 am »
Wire nails weren't used extensively until 1900, so 1700's is out of the question.  That style of making wood look old is 1960's.  Agree with Mart, mid 20th century at best.  GG

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 11:57:05 am »
These can fool inexperienced people !! 

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 12:27:08 pm »
I can't make it out either...but with a lot of imagination, could it be: "Made in F.indochina" (pre 1954 Vietnam) ??? ???