Author Topic: Blanket Chest  (Read 935 times)

debodun

• View Profile
Blanket Chest
« on: April 08, 2013, 05:43:41 am »
I advertised an antique lyre-back wash stand for sale. A man came to look at it and bought it, but when he was here, he inquired about a blanket chest I has (but not for sale). I told him it was an antique and when I decided to sell it I would want at least $200 for it. He said it wasn't an antique - just a reproduction made in the 1970s or 80s and worth about $50 which he would give me when I decided to sell. I remember my parents buying this at an auction in the mid-1970 and it looked old then. A quick look on Ebay, even modern cedar chests are selling for hundreds. Any idea what WOULD be a reasonable price?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Blanket Chest
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 06:02:38 am »
When it comes to wooden chests/blanket boxes...condition and age is all important..and this one does,nt look that old,when your parents bought it, did they think it was an antique then....as for value....i,ve looked at ebay both in the UK and US...and from what i saw..there are some high asking prices...but no sales,...it does,nt matter what you think it may be worth...its what buyers are prepared to pay...because after all,it is a buyers market....over here in UK...you,d be lucky to get £50 which is around $75 before sellers premium came off...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 10:07:35 am »
Looks more late 20`s or 30`s craftsman/or country style !! Very simple, plain, square utilitarian piece !!  Meant to use not just to look at !! Although the value is not that much,, $200. would be what I would ask and hope no one bought it !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 11:08:41 am »
Agree with Mart on this one.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford