Author Topic: Unmarked Plates???  (Read 2796 times)

cmlindb

• View Profile
Unmarked Plates???
« on: April 08, 2013, 11:16:10 am »
I have some unmarked plates that I got from my grandma who she took out of a quality estate a long time ago. They aren't marked on the back but they struck me as cool. They have a silver rim that isn't painted on or anything. The silver was tarnished when I got it. Any ideas on when or where they came from? I don't know if it is even possible to identify without a mark but who knows.

Check this out... Probably at least 200 years old based on the amount of garbage that was in the dumpster around it.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Unmarked Plates???
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 03:43:42 pm »
It would be almost impossible to identify without a mark of some type !! Most of the better plates would have a company name on the back usually with the pattern name and number !!  I would guess from looking at the style and border they are likely from the 1970`s but could be slightly earlier or later !!  Try googling  "plates with silver floral border" and see if something comes up !! Also check ebay !! 

cmlindb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 03:59:55 pm »
Yeah I have been looking through google trying to find a match or something close with no luck. I figured it would be almost impossible except for if someone has seen this before somewhere. They seem well made and are pretty cool though I just wish there was a mark on the back somewhere.
Check this out... Probably at least 200 years old based on the amount of garbage that was in the dumpster around it.

cmlindb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 04:25:45 pm »
Okay i decided to get outside with these plates to look really close and a couple of the plates had very very faint marks... what I got from it was "Hand Painted" onver a sybol and "Nippon" on the bottom. One of the plates had a small 10S on it

cmlindb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 04:56:52 pm »
Okay I have found the faint symbol on the back of one of the plates out of my 10 and it looks like this

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 05:21:52 pm »
hundreds out there...see link....you have 10...so again..if they are not eating.....then...y ou,re quids in....

http://www.pricedumper.co.uk/hand+painted+nippon+plate?ggkey=hand+painted+nippon+plate
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

cmlindb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 05:34:54 pm »
Yeah I just did a little digging and it turns out there are a lot of fakes out there and ones that arent that old. I am looking pretty good as the symbol on mine is one of the older style symbols but I only can see the symbol on two of the plates. I am thinking that it will be hard to sell on ebay because it isn't possible to get a picture of the mark. I have also found out that when they used metal with the plates it was possibly made by the more high end makers and therefor more valuable. I cannot be sure though so maybe $10 on an appraisal might be worthwhile. If anything I can make that back at $1 a plate

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 08:35:19 pm »
Nippon is the word for Japan !! That would mean likely made prior to 1940 !!  If not a repro !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 05:16:53 am »
Try posting photos and explain about the faint mark and picture of it like you did here on the International Nippon Collectors Club  page on Facebook    http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Nippon-Collectors-Club-INCC/139737456114352   
Please let us know what they say  :)

Ipcress

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 05:21:45 am »
I think they're supposed to be early Noritake. Quite well made but still not worth a great deal