Author Topic: Mackintosh Hill House chair  (Read 2986 times)

johan.johan

• View Profile
Mackintosh Hill House chair
« on: April 09, 2013, 12:47:41 am »
Hello, does anyone know how to tell if a Mackintosh Hill House chair by Charles Rennie is genuine?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Mackintosh Hill House chair
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 02:17:59 am »
we will need to see it before we can..say...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

johan.johan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 02:24:01 am »
we will need to see it before we can..say...

Thank you for quick reply. Yes, of course, sorry. Also wondering, if there are a signature on a piece like this, where do you find it?
I am a bit vary since I could get this chair to around 100 pounds, which sounds very cheap to me.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2rohz47.jpg

Ipcress

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 04:51:54 am »
Hello, does anyone know how to tell if a Mackintosh Hill House chair by Charles Rennie is genuine?

Well there are a few different manufacturers with some still being made today and prices vary. It could be marked on the inside near the seat.

Difficult to say if it's value from the image but i'd expect it to be in mint condition and well made

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 05:04:16 am »
Ipcress is right about the sig.

If they're still made today then I'd assume this one is new, then work backwards.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

johan.johan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 06:22:05 am »

Well there are a few different manufacturers with some still being made today and prices vary. It could be marked on the inside near the seat.

Difficult to say if it's value from the image but i'd expect it to be in mint condition and well made

Yes, there are pieces like this still made today. I have seen various manufacturers offering "Hill House" on the Internet. I think there is one manufacturer who say they produce with license from Mackintosh(?). Still, I have seen newly made replicas on the Internet, cheapest ones seems to be 400 dollars. So even though it is a newly made replica, 100 pounds seems to be a good price if the piece is in "mint condition"?
Thanks for your answers, very valuable for me.

johan.johan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 06:45:32 am »
One of the manufacturers is Cassina, this is what their website says about the piece.

"All the models in the Cassina collection, by merit of their artistic content and particular creative character, are protected by copyright, a legal institution that is universally recognised and safeguarded; legal protection is assured for the whole life-span of the author and for 70 years after his/her death (or the death of the last surviving co-author)"

Surely this does not mean it is illegal to sell a Hill House replica?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 09:13:46 am »
What this means is,..it can be sold, but...if another manufacturer..was to make this...they could not call it a Rennie Mackintosh chair...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 10:16:16 am »
It means that this company has the legal right to produce these chairs and advertise them as authentic !! It protects you as a buyer should you sell the chair in the future !!