Author Topic: hoosier cabinet  (Read 2565 times)

huggybear

• View Profile
hoosier cabinet
« on: April 10, 2013, 10:45:52 am »
I am about to drive three hours one way tonight to buy a hoosier cabinet.I am having reserves of buying this one as i can not find any info on "barnet" .was hoping someone may have some info before i make this purchase and regret it. thanks so much
heres the link..  http://barrie.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-furniture-hutches-display-cabinets-Antigue-Hoosier-W0QQAdIdZ466123902

mart

• View Profile
Re: hoosier cabinet
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 11:05:35 am »
Why are you having reservations ?? Looks like its in good condition !!  Many companies made Hoosier style cabinets !! All are lumped into the Hoosier category if made similarly !! If the price is good and its in original condition,, I see no problem !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 11:40:34 am »
I guess it would depend on how accurate the seller is in their use of the term "fair condition". In my opinion, if it's needing too much work, you probably could look elsewhere for that much money. Good luck!
Here's an interesting article regarding the history of those cabinets...
http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/metsnav2/imh/navigate.do?oid=VAA4025-105-1&cid=VAA4025-105-1-a01

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 12:58:12 pm »
That might be an OK price for one in perfect original condition !! Not for any less than that !!

huggybear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 01:40:37 pm »
Thanks Rauville , interesting read. Yes mart it looks nice but unfortunatley it seems around here people take advantage of antiques and prices soar for crap for tourists.This cabinet doesnt have any extras either.Just bare bones. Complete cabinets go for much much more.I almost had one for $100 but missed by half a day.I can get one with flour sifter and sugar , also a few spice bottles .A "sellers" but they want$1000. So i guess i'll take a chance and mayby it will be a diamond in the rough. Thanks again

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 05:35:13 pm »
Please read my post on the duplicate post. I think it may be a repro.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 05:47:24 pm »
I enlarged the pic !!  I tend to agree Frogpatch,, it does look a little too good to be original !!  I had not heard of anyone making repro`s !!  Think I would pass on it !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 06:06:27 pm »
Barnet sells a lot of really nice and classic repros in Scotland for the international market. Bigwull must know something of them. He probably burned a few pieces.  ;)

huggybear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 08:10:06 pm »
Well 5 hours later and im home with it. It looks way nicer in the picture than it does in real life.It looks white yet it's biege.A little worn here and there..has a recipe bracket inside and tin drawer liner thats it.No stamp in the back.Just metal tag in front.Sitting in garage till tomorrow.I guess they have had it for years...was an older retired couple in a farm house.Needs a little tlc but im happy. thanks for the advise though , greatly appreciated. Got it for $350 instead of $400
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:12:06 pm by huggybear »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 11:30:17 pm »
What matters most is that you like it. If it is a repro, at least you don't have to worry about lead paint and zinc countertops! Post a few pics of it, maybe we can determine if it really is a repro or not.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 04:01:48 am »
Over here in UK...these "Hoosiers"...or Aluminium Kitchen Cupboards as we call them...are worth very little...i,ve seen them occasionally at our local auction house...and they rarely sell for anything over 40GBP..= $60...in fact i had one which i used as storage in my garage,..and only recently when we moved..I scrapped it...and got 20GBP..for it...here,s one on ebay..start price .99p....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-Kitchen-Unit-Late-50s-Needs-Restoration-/171022304461?pt=UK_Home_Garden_LivingRoomFurniture_EH&hash=item27d1b944cd
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Ipcress

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 06:38:52 am »
Yeah, they normally end up in a garage full of tools and stained with oil and grease.

huggybear

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 07:11:54 am »
wow i wish they were that cheap here .seems everything in canada is overpriced as an antique.Will post some pics when i get it inside tonight.i found a newspaper clipping online talking about the barnet company here in refrew.It opened in 1903, sold a few times to other people and finally closed in 1936. No wonder i cant find any info on this specific cabinet.lol nice cabinet in the garage picture.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 07:29:17 am »
If only the price of shipping containers was cheaper...it would be like the early 60,s all over again... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,