Author Topic: 19th Century Milk Glass Christopher Columbus Bottle - Need Help with Info  (Read 3219 times)

TC12

• View Profile
Hello

I just came across this forum and was wondering if someone here might be able to help me. I picked up an interesting milk glass bottle at an auction recently, but I'm having trouble finding much info on it. It has two pieces: the column-shaped bottle and a gold-painted topper of Christopher Columbus holding a globe. The bottle measures about 12.5" to the cork and the topper measures just over 7". When stacked, it is just over 18" tall. The topper is not attached to the cork, but is hollow and simply conceals the cork. The only info that came with this was a label that said it is from the 1870s. The piece is in excellent condition.

I've tried finding info online, but have not been able to find much. I did find this auction website in which a very similar piece was included in a set.

http://www.cowanauctions.com/auctions/item.aspx?ItemId=53193

Does anyone know any more about this? Was it used for alcohol? What is its individual value? Anything anyone may be able to offer would be much appreciated. Thank you all for your time.

Tony
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 04:25:00 pm by TC12 »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
The fact that it has a cork..tells me it was for hooch...also see text

Mass production of figural bottles took place during the mid-19th century through the early 20th century. The majority of these bottles were made for liquor products, including the alcohol-based medicinal bitters. These alcohol containers ranged in size from large decanters to small pocket-sized flasks. Milk glass, a popular color at the time, was utilized to make some of the most sophisticated designs.

Many liquor figurals were promotional give-aways by companies for their best customers on holidays or other occasions.

The shape or design of a figural usually related to an individual product or the name of a company. For instance, Carlton H. Lee of Boston, Massachusetts, in 1894, patented the design for a skull-shaped bottle in which to sell poison. A flask in the shape of an eye was designed to market the product "Eye Opener." The James Robertson firm, known as "The Paint Makers," had a paintbrush-shaped bottle made to sell liquid filler. A souvenir bottle in the shape of a frying pan was sold at the Pan-American Exposition.

Metal closures and attachments were frequently employed to enhance the overall design. Full-size metal sculptures, such as the Statue of Liberty and Christopher Columbus complemented their architecturally detailed milk glass bases
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Good information Wullie.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Great info Bigwull. Reminds me of all the violin bottles I used to find. Some old, some older, some newer. It was trend that lasted a hundred years or more. 

wendy177

• View Profile
Columbus Column Bottle 13" tall plus 7" metal statue. Patented by librowicz on January 17, 1893. The metal statue forms the stopper. Originally contained Rye Wiskey & manufactured by James  Simms  & Company of Philadelphia. Scarce with top In a good market $800.00 - $950.00  I'm sure you paid much less at the auction hang on to it for a better market.  :)

mart

• View Profile
I looked everywhere for this thing !! And you jump right on it !!  That's why we need you Wendy !!

wendy177

• View Profile
Thanks Mart  ;)

fancypants

• View Profile
You Rock , Wendy177 !!!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 09:47:03 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile

fancypants

• View Profile
You rock , bigwull !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Nailed it Wendy!!!!  Here's a Texas Happy Dance for you!

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 12:39:35 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
hold on to yours

TC12

• View Profile
Thank you all for the information, especially bigwull and wendy! I had a really hard time finding anything about this but I knew there were some people on here who would know something. If it is indeed in that $800+ range, than it was a very good auction :) Thanks again, all!

mart

• View Profile
Keep in mind that Wendy said, "in a good market" !!  And it hasn`t been lately !!

TC12

• View Profile
Keep in mind that Wendy said, "in a good market" !!  And it hasn`t been lately !!

Understood. Even if it's a little short of that, it's still better than what I had expected. I had no idea it is as scarce as it seems to be.