Author Topic: 19th Century Frame Value  (Read 4601 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
19th Century Frame Value
« on: April 12, 2013, 07:41:35 pm »
I found this frame in a thrift store in Florida. I know that it is a painted and grained frame from the 19th century, It is in very good condition with the exception of a few missing pieces that are shown in the pictures. I tried to sell it on Etsy and on Ebay and could not get any interest at all. Meanwhile there was a show on TV where someone did a segment on old frames and they were selling for good money. I realize that these TV "experts" like Eddie Ross have a big following but zero interest in an antique frame? I can only give you approximate dimensions. 14 x 18 inches. I might just put a mirror in it if I can't sell it. What do you think it is worth on today's market?  Bigwull, I sprayed it with fire retardant.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 07:51:41 pm by frogpatch »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: 19th Century Frame Value
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 07:51:37 pm »
How much of that clear stuff have you been drinking....or maybe i, do need a pair of Mart,s cheaters...cos i can,t see any pics ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 08:02:13 pm »
The pics are there Wullie, I had to wait about ten minutes to load them and finally hit escape. What is up with this site or is it my broadband? I have high speed internet and loading on this site is awful. Is it me? Back to the clear stuff for me.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 08:10:01 pm »
Yes they are there now...but they were,nt there when you first posted...I,had the same problem last week,every time i tried to upload more than 1 pic it timed out...I too have superfast broadband...but the way it was carrying on i thought maybe i, had boonie broadband... ;D....

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 08:16:18 pm »
Its a nice looking frame..the outer reminds me of tortoiseshell...or maybe zebrawood..isthat a pewter inlay...

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 03:39:18 am »
What do you think it is worth on today's market?  Bigwull, I sprayed it with fire retardant.

In my opinion, not worth much, ...... the "silver" is zilch   >:( >:( ..... and the reason no bidders.

If you spraypaint those 2 sections with "antique gold" paint it will then look like a 19th century frame to those Etsy n' EBay bidders.

Gold will look good on any wall, ....... silver won't.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 06:59:48 am »
A very handsome frame! Around here, in excellen t condition you'd probably get around $30-$50 at auction. Not a whole lot. If I had a suitably sized picture, I'd just keep it.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 07:24:35 am »
I always had trouble selling empty frames. Add some glass and a print, and people seemed much easier to convince that they needed it on their own wall. :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 08:22:15 am »
Sadly,, Ghopper is right about price !!  What I used to do was just leave the frame as is, go to the thrift store or dollar store and get a mirror the same size ( its a common size usually) and put that in !! The buyers taste in pictures may not be the same as yours or mine but mirrors are pretty much style free and can be used anywhere !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 08:59:45 am »
Mart;
Usually, nobody liked my selection of art either, and they would announce that they would maybe change it out. But, it started the thinking process as to how "nice" that frame would look in their house.
I still have hundreds of vintage prints left that I bought from small town furniture stores over the years. Most of those stores were glad to get rid of a stack of "outdated" prints that dated back to the 1920's or before. I could always honestly say: "That's not a reprint" after I got one framed.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 09:52:53 am »
Thanks, I think I will put a mirror in it. Silver? I do not know if someones screen needs color adjustment or if my photo needs temperature adjustment. The frame is painted and grained by hand and the trim is gold. It is definitely a 19th century piece from the Late Empire period by the Ogee curve. The outer gold section is not painted. I think its gold leaf. It can actually be buffed. I will see if I can make it clearer. How are these?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 09:57:05 am by frogpatch »

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 09:59:10 am »
What is up with the pic loading? It never stopped until I escaped out of it again.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 10:14:27 am »
You would be surprised at how staging an item helps sell it !! On something like this frame,, add something,, print or mirror,, even a calendar pic works if its the right era,, then drape around some lace remnants around a table of same vintage or close,, stand the frame against the wall,, set a couple of items around it,, glassware, figurines and I used to add a long stem red or white rose laying across the table (silk,, not real) then take your pic !!  The first pic people see has to grab attention and give ideas to how they could use the item in their home !! The rose always gets a ladies attention !!
If you have other items to sell from that era,, sell them as a grouping !!  Buyer has less shopping to do !!  It works !!  Add a romantic description !!  This is what I mean when I tell people to know your market and play to that demographic !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 10:16:19 am »
Thats better..now it looks like antique gold..as opposed to pewter in the first pics,

Ipcress

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 10:57:46 am »
I like that. Is it not marked anywhere ?

Wood looks like coromandel ?