Author Topic: Mantle Clock  (Read 4582 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Mantle Clock
« on: April 13, 2013, 08:28:26 am »
Hi,all, I,m just back from, visiting our local charity shop,and got this,nice Mantle clock, its made of black Slate..with marble inserts,Its an Ansonia from New York,its in working condition,...but i think it needs a service as it is running a bit slow, it has the Westminster chime,once on the half hour then the hour,I emptied my wallet to get it....£20...its 11in wide x 13in high x 4in deep,it has two winders, the left one clockwise,and the right anti-clockwise...Its in good cond, there are some small issues, the main one being,a little brass coller is missing from the left hand winding hole on the face,and on the front below the face..there may have been a small brass plaque,or something..as there are two small indentations...but apart from that..i,m pleased with it....Avril has,nt seen it yet...i,ll let you know what she thinks later...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Mantle Clock
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 08:41:51 am »
You are the lucky guy...I used to price that type at $125+, and they would sell. Ansonia is generally regarded as the "Cadillac" of American clocks from that era.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 09:49:37 am »
When Avril came home she looked at it...screwed her face up...then said..."its not bad"...it,ll grow on me...so its a keeper..It sits well on that mantle piece...

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 10:04:14 am »
I agree with Rauville. Nice find. Typical spousal reaction. My wife "finds" things packed up that I bought years ago. I never tell her that she did not hold them in favor at the time I bought them. I let her think she rediscovered them.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 04:34:39 pm »
I like it !! Now take a pic with it sitting on the mantle !! That's the same way our wall clock winds !! One right and one left !! Or clockwise and counter clockwise !!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 05:42:37 pm »
When Avril came home she looked at it...screwed her face up...then said..."its not bad"...it,ll grow on me...so its a keeper..It sits well on that mantle piece...

Now are you sure she wasn't looking at you when she said that??? 

:D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 06:50:20 pm »

Now are you sure she wasn't looking at you when she said that??? 

:D
Na!!...she was just doing what you women do best.... ;D ;D ;D

cmlindb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 07:55:45 pm »
My biggest enemy right now when it comes to me buying cool stuff is my wife. I litterally have to sneak out pick something up and then put it somewhere in the house and tell her i got it a while back if she sees it hahah.
Check this out... Probably at least 200 years old based on the amount of garbage that was in the dumpster around it.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 08:04:32 pm »
You are not alone...women are a totally different species...from us men....take me and Avril for instance,...I,m the Master of the house......when she is at work......at all other times.....I do as i,m told.... ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 08:21:21 pm »
Come on !!  We are not that bad !!  What would you do without us ??  Actually I can sympathize with you guys,, here I am the one that does the buying and Hubby says " What are you going to do with THAT " !!! 

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 08:35:41 pm »
LOL!!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 04:20:15 am »
Uh......good price on the clock! ::)

If anybody here on the site knows about 19th century clock brands, how about Ithica and Welch for reliability and value? I know the Welch "Patti" series goes for big $.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 04:53:41 am »
I like it !! Now take a pic with it sitting on the mantle !! That's the same way our wall clock winds !! One right and one left !! Or clockwise and counter clockwise !!
here you are Mart...apparently it was found in a loft, and had been there for 15years+...i wound it yesterday...and its still ticking,& donging....

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 05:21:00 am »
That's your place Wullie?

Tasteful! Genteel, even!

Now, there has to be a Harley and maybe a Roundhouse or UFO show poster around there somewhere..... ;D ;D
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 05:41:52 am »
NO Harley,s....I was never into Tractors....give me a good Jap inline four anytime...my all time favourite..was this,...it was designed by a German and built by the Japanese...it gave me the best ride i ever had...and it never complained.. ;D....and the best part of all....it never bent my ear....