Author Topic: George Inness Paintings - Maybe - Advice Needed  (Read 2255 times)

Barry Ward

• View Profile
George Inness Paintings - Maybe - Advice Needed
« on: April 14, 2013, 05:43:34 pm »
Hi All, we have a pair of paintings of the same scene painted on different occasions signed G Inness.

We live in Montrose Scotland which is not far from Bridge of Allan where I believe George Inness spent the end of his life so there is a slim possibility this may be some of his work. Any ideas how we could check whether this is one of his pieces?

I've been trying to find an email address for Michael Quick to see if he'd be interested in looking at a few photos but can't find anything other than a LinkedIn profile. Does anyone know how I'd go about contacting him directly or indirectly?

Any help/dialogue appreciated

Barry

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: George Inness Paintings - Maybe - Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 05:45:58 pm »
Pics would help Barry...btw...you are 8 miles from me....I,m in Brechin... :)Why don,t you get in touch with Michael Quick,s publishers, you can include a couple of pics of the paintings you have..include a short resume..of how you came by them....or you could take them to Taylors Auction house in Brent Ave,..they may be able to help...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:52:14 pm by bigwull »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Barry Ward

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 06:02:07 pm »
Hi BigWull,

That's an idea, I'll drop the publishers a line.

I'm amazed that there are so many references to Micheal Quick when you search for George Inness that it's so hard to find a way to contact him! Even his business Micheal Quick Consultancy doesn't throw anything up other than an address and phone number.

I bought these paintings at Taylors as part of a job lot. My wife and I liked them and we bought them for aesthetic value. I did look up George Innes (one S) out of curiosity a while back but it was only when I was looking at them today I noticed that there are actually two SS's.

They're on our wall, would be nice to think we had good taste :-)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 06:05:30 pm »
Well get your camera out and take a pic or two of your wall...we want to see them... ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 06:11:00 pm »
I,m a frequent visitor to Taylors...and have had some good results this past year...most notably was 4 x JR150 stereo speakers...i paid £4.80 inc commission...and sold them for £900..

Barry Ward

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 06:25:22 pm »
I'm never around when Taylors have their auctions :-(

That's a nice result on the speakers!!

We were in there looking for an armoire and happened to see these. I popped in next day and bought the lot just for these two paintings. Like I said, we just liked them. Probably just a couple of nice paintings with some embellishment by way of a signature . To me the signatures look a bit 'loud' against the rest of the paintings but hey you never know.

I've attached a couple of photos taken from my phone just now. Not good quality but you get the idea. I was looking for some info on what might be some distinguishing easily identifiable features of his paintings. Close up I reckon whoever painted these had a particular style but I know nothing about art other than I know what I like to be honest.

Barry Ward

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 06:27:55 pm »
I've never used this forum beofre, I guess you can only attach one file at a time. Here's the other one......

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 06:44:56 pm »
From all the pictures I,ve looked at from this Artist..he, signs and dates them..are these canvas...they look very nice..the frames are in very good cond...but from what i,ve seen i,d have to say..these are not his...these ones look too perfect...but as you have bought them in a job lot...which may mean you got them at a very good price...therefore.. ..if they are not biting your arse..then enjoy them.... :)..there are more knowledgeable people on here than me...lets see what they say....

Barry Ward

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 06:52:36 pm »
I thought that too, seems he dated a lot of his work. But I also notice that as well as his changes in style some of his work is unsigned so possibly his signature changes... Like I say, the signature seems a bit bold probably tipp-exed on! :-) Shame if someone's added the signatures as the paintings themselves are pretty nice and to my philistine eye look well painted

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 03:25:46 am »
After re-reading your first post..I was wondering what the Bridge of Allan connection was...but i don,t think he did any painting whilst there...He died there of a stroke.whilst on his way back to America...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 04:25:21 am by bigwull »