Author Topic: Has anyone ever come across one of these?  (Read 3961 times)

Meandthebean

• I appreciate heritage.
    • View Profile
Has anyone ever come across one of these?
« on: April 15, 2013, 08:29:32 am »
I recently came across this item.  I have researched, and I have yet to find a picture or mention of this.  Shortly after moving to Marion, Indiana, the company Changed names from Rutenber Electric Co. to Rutenber Motor Co.  Most famous for it's toasters and contributions to the Automotive industry, the company also cranked out Ranges.  I have found patents with regards to the above items, but not a MENTION of a Rutenber 45 Radiator.  This item is Copper and Cast Iron.  The heating element is still intact, and it has a cloth cord, and a plug that has seen better days.  I have not plugged it in because my husband and State Farm would have very strong objections.  What I would really like to know is what I have here.  And if anyone has seen or knows any information about the value and the item.  I have not so much as ran a paper towel to dust it off, I do not want to do anything to diminish the look or value by 'cleaning'.  If you could shed any light on this situation, I would be extremely grateful.  Thank you so much.

jb
Jb

gg27

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone ever come across one of these?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 09:50:36 am »
It's a heater.  I think that style was around in the 30's - 60's but I'm not positive about the date.  The copper to me, says 50's - 60's.  They do come along from time to time, but don't sell very well, because people don't want to plug them in.  Here on the left coast, maybe $20.  GG

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 10:20:59 am »
It's a heater.  I think that style was around in the 30's - 60's but I'm not positive about the date.  The copper to me, says 50's - 60's.  They do come along from time to time, but don't sell very well, because people don't want to plug them in.  Here on the left coast, maybe $20.  GG
Left Coast??...i,ve never heard of that place... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 10:24:31 am »
These heaters were for treating rheumatism..my gran had one,as she suffered from rheumatoid arthritis..and this kind of heater was ideal, as it is directional...the downside of it..was twofold, ..one it gave my gran corned beef legs, ..and two..it gobbled electricity...

Meandthebean

• I appreciate heritage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 10:59:19 am »
Thank you all for the help. I am still poking around, and I have found where Edwin Rutenber assigned some of his electrical patents to the A J Lindeman and Hoverson Company, and the manufactured this similar design. I am mostly unable to track down the patent number, or even find another one of these heaters manufactured by RECO, would you allbychance recommend any specific site for gathering information. I have been all over, but, still nothing. I haven't quite figured out how to check for the patent number, using only the date. I am now just very curious about why I cannot find THIS one anywhere. I just like to learn as much as I can. Thank You all for assisting! Jb
Jb

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 02:36:36 pm »
This was the room heater of the 30`s and 40s !!  They do eat electricity !!  
Did you see the one on ebay also by Rutenber just different model !! Great condition and working !! Listed for $49.95  but no bids !!  These really have no collector value !!  Just a curiosity in todays market !!  Sorry !!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 03:21:54 pm by mart »

Meandthebean

• I appreciate heritage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 03:39:19 pm »
@ mart: thank you for the info. I happened upon this for $10, I just love things with history. I was hoping to find out a bit, and everyone here has been so helpful. I also like to learn new things, this site has provided a wealth of knowledge.
Jb

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 04:13:12 pm »
One thing I can tell you is that yours is likely earlier than what I stated above !!  Found somewhere that during the 20`s they were making the heaters, tabletop stoves, toasters and irons !!  They tried to go national but lacked funding so they started making footlockers for the Navy !!  I think they started them in 1926 !!  So yours would be early 20`s !!

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 07:09:07 pm »
You really need to get out a bit more then!! ;-)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 12:15:05 pm »
Ya'll need to keep up with hip/slang!!!  There is a left coast and a right coast...an upper coast and lower coast!!!!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 04:07:48 pm »
Ha !!  Not in Texas !!  All we have is Gulf Coast !!! :D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 04:38:17 pm »
You really need to get out a bit more then!! ;-)
Oh,..but I do, and I can see the sunrise in the east,coming out of the North Sea,and then drive west, have my lunch...and my dinner, down a few Malts then watch it set .into the Atlantic Ocean....all in one day... ;D

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 04:10:29 am »
Oh,..but I do, and I can see the sunrise in the east,coming out of the North Sea,and then drive west, have my lunch...and my dinner, down a few Malts then watch it set .into the Atlantic Ocean....all in one day...

HA, ;D reminds me of the time when the company I worked for in Utica, New York, was acquired by ICL, a British company and of course they sent a management team to the US to take control.

One day a 16/17 year old teenager who was the son of an ICL VP showed up for his “summer job” in America. He was a friendly kid with a nice personality and was always talking about the exciting things he was seeing and doing and how much he was enjoying his summer in America.

Anyway, t’was one Friday bout noon I was chatting with Derek and ask him “What are you going to do for excitement this weekend”, ..... to which he answered with a sense of excitement on his face, …… “I’m going to rent a car and drive out to the west coast and back to see some movie stars”. 

Of course his excitement turned to befuddlement when I told him “That’ll be exciting for you but you had better pack a great big picnic lunch and I’ll see you again at the end of next week”.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 07:18:57 pm »
That's what I tell people about Texas !! Especially those living in the smaller NE states !!  They can drive a couple of hours and be out of their state,, we drive a couple of hours are aren`t even out of the county !! And if you are talking major cities,, you are not even out of town !!!