Author Topic: Machinery Identity  (Read 2218 times)

Chevyman

• View Profile
Machinery Identity
« on: April 15, 2013, 11:25:24 am »
I have this old filing tool that was a barn find any help in what it is would be welcome. I have a few more pictures to post soon

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 11:27:31 am by Chevyman »

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Machinery Identity
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 12:17:21 pm »
Somebody in cotton country might be able to help you with the exact identification. I'm guessing that it's used for filing and gumming the teeth on the saws in a cotton gin. ???

Chevyman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 01:57:36 pm »
Thank you, I did not think about cotton gin tools. I will research more this weekend at the cotton gin festival. I had a clue about it being a type of sharpener, but no idea as to what it was used on. Thank you for the information.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 02:13:45 pm »
What does that plate say ??  Cant read it all !!

Chevyman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 10:52:12 am »
JJ smith MFG co. McDonough GA

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 10:53:50 am »
I found a few old pieces that were JJ Smith items...they were all for woodworking and made in UK!  

Found J J Smith quite a few times in Georgia and he worked for electrical companies!!  Hmmmm....
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:13:12 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Chevyman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 11:14:27 am »
I have found the same info on such items also, but no picture of the same machine, all I can figure is it sharpened some type of tool. The closest thing I have found was on EBay under cotton gin saw sharpener and gummer, it was a hand crank type and this machine is a belt driven type.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 11:40:17 am »
Towards the bottom of this page you can read the entry concerning the John J. Smith Mfg. Co.
http://www.shingleroof.org/HC4.htm

"The John J. Smith Manufacturing Company, manufacturers of the Duplex Filing and Gumming Machine, which is the perfected result of more than 25 years of time and study. The machine has merit plus durability, both of which are attested by the fact that a robust and healthy increase in the sales are noted from year to year. Mr. Smith has recently received a Canadian patent on this machine."

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 11:40:51 am »
The only other information I can find on a J J Smith is that he was General Manager of the Baltimore Electrical Supply Company in Atlanta, Georgia and was a Jobber.  (McDonough is 20 minutes south of Atlanta - very small town. - Even sent a note to McDonough City Historian asking for information about the company and haven't heard anything back!)

Information gleened from Page 563 of the Electrical Review, Volume 62
 By George Worthington
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 11:45:44 am »
Little more information on John J. Smith Duplex machine....  http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83908

Chevyman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 12:35:23 pm »
That is good stuff, I am not a good researcher, you are very good. Thank you so much for the information.