Author Topic: Is this an original "da ming xuan de nian zhi" burner?  (Read 4368 times)

treasures1984

• View Profile
Is this an original "da ming xuan de nian zhi" burner?
« on: April 17, 2013, 01:09:43 pm »
So i bought this guy at an estate sale (almost 30lbs) and had no clue what it was until i did some research but now i need to know if this a real piece because the one on eBay is different and looks cheap compared to mine, even the stamp is different.
here is the item number, they want $800 330895483516

here is my piece, can anyone please help me on when this was made or what kind of value it's holding?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Is this an original "da ming xuan de nian zhi" burner?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 02:10:58 pm »
Looking at yours, anmd the one on ebay...to be truthful, the one on ebay..in my opinion, looks better, its patina is better,...as for yours, its nice, but its not 400 years old..if thats what you think,value wise, if you can find a buyer, is in the region of $450/700
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

treasures1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 02:14:59 pm »
Looking at yours, anmd the one on ebay...to be truthful, the one on ebay..in my opinion, looks better, its patina is better,...as for yours, its nice, but its not 400 years old..if thats what you think,value wise, if you can find a buyer, is in the region of $450/700

Thank you very much, i just wanted to know why mine had different details from the one on eBay

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 02:21:12 pm »
looking at the ebay one again..i would say that that one has the blackened body..simply because it may have been used..

treasures1984

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 02:30:48 pm »
looking at the ebay one again..i would say that that one has the blackened body..simply because it may have been used..

Agreed, I wonder why mine has a thick ring on the part that opens and it's even different while open.
I can post more pictures

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 02:43:33 pm »
From what i,ve seen elsewhere, some are adverised as being Tibetan..whilst others are billed as Chinese,whilst i don,t think its an original..mind you,I,d like to be wrong.....I have to say, its most likely repo, of the original, but being a repo, does,not mean it is a cheapo,..yes some more pics please..the more the merrier...

Ipcress

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 02:48:42 pm »
Neither are old. Modern and just have too much " going on " . Often seen in the local chinese takeaway or restaurant.

The ebay seller has really gone to town on the listing title hasn't he  ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 02:52:52 pm »
But thats what selling is all about..the more info you get, the more chance of selling..unless of course you have the genuine article...then no matter what you say..it sell itself...

treasures1984

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 03:51:43 pm »
Here are some interesting pictures, please ignore the crayon marking on the rim since that's just the Estate number.

Totally different then the one on eBay, does mine look used? I'm curious if I should throw it on eBay.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 03:53:55 pm by treasures1984 »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 04:07:59 pm »
It does,nt look as if its been used..as for putting it on ebay...well, If you bought it just to try and make a profit,...then thats possibly the way to go,...

Ipcress

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 05:26:30 pm »
But thats what selling is all about..the more info you get, the more chance of selling..unless of course you have the genuine article...then no matter what you say..it sell itself...

But if the words used aren't correct then...

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 01:53:08 am »
.. kin ya tak the bools oot o. yer mooth man...am nae tae keen on minced words....

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 09:51:55 pm »
Per your PM request for input on this thread , treasures1984 , I'll chime in with the other members who have the opinion that your item is not one that is antique (100yrs or more) .

If you do plan on selling it as what it appears to have been designed for/after - a charcoal burner - I'd suggest that you tell the buyer that it is not safe for indoor use .
These pesky fellas , or ones like them , are the cause of many problems to the owners , up to & including death via carbon-monox , in countries around the world !

I'm unsure if your item is constructed of primarily brass , or of bronze .

I've got little-to-no clue as to pricing on this item , since it's modern (IMO) ,  t1984 .... as a little suggested 'tip' for the future ... beware the authentic/ancient appearing 'Chinese' items that have dragons with 5 toes .... back in the old , old days in China , one would loose ones' head if caught with a 5-toed depiction of a dragon (5-toe dragons were for the big-shot emperor ONLY , mostly) .

The best I can guess is that it is of Asian-Pacific manufacture , for the 'designer/export' market .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 03:21:47 am »
Ding Dong..."why in Gods name would anyone with an  ozs of common sense..want to use a Charcoal burner indoors..Has your society, become so paranoid of  being sued for mis-representation..that you would need to issue such a dis-claimer...or maybe they do things differently in the US...like have BBQ,s indoors.. :o

Ipcress

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 05:21:13 am »
I look for 5 toed dragons then appraise the item.

One of the great problems with oriental items, especially porcelain, is that they copied each others styles. You can have " Chinese " blue and white that was actually made in Japan.