Author Topic: What is this??? Please help!  (Read 3503 times)

Joshtully

• View Profile
What is this??? Please help!
« on: April 18, 2013, 01:27:12 pm »
Hi, I picked up this little box and haven't really hot a clue about it, can anybody please shed some light on this for me, thanks.

cmlindb

• View Profile
Re: What is this??? Please help!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 01:40:45 pm »
Whats the size of this box, whats the inside look like, anything on the bottom? Just a picture like that looks like a cigar box to me.
Check this out... Probably at least 200 years old based on the amount of garbage that was in the dumpster around it.

Joshtully

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 01:47:46 pm »
Hi, thanks for the reply, the box is 6 inches by 3 inches, inside has some fancy blue cushioned Cotten with a lace inlay. It looks hand made and every individual piece of wood and pearl is glued in with some sort of old brown stuff.... It also looks to have bone or maybe ivory in there too.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 01:59:50 pm »
what happened to the other measurement...i.e. 6 x 3 x ?....is the blue cotton segmented?...a pic of the hinges, ..from what i see here..its a small trinket box,...depending on where you are..it might be treen...or maybe Turnbridge Ware...but we do need as much info as possible...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Joshtully

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 02:12:48 pm »
Sorry it's 6x3x 1 5/8. I'm in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, England. I honestly haven't got a clue what I've got so all your help is great! You can only see the back of the hinges because the inside is covered up, hope these pics help!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 02:22:42 pm »
Sorry it's 6x3x 1 5/8. I'm in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, England. I honestly haven't got a clue what I've got so all your help is great! You can only see the back of the hinges because the inside is covered up, hope these pics help!
Well yer nae that far fae me...i,m in Scotland.....I,m sure this box is Turnbridge Ware...see my link....

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tunbridge+ware&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=A1VwUfq_NOag0QXej4HwCw&sqi=2&ved=0CD8QsAQ&biw=1007&bih=577

and you must be an older Yorkshireman...as your still using, imperial,...or are you being generous to our American hosts..who don,t use mm,s ;D

Buddie11

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 02:28:47 pm »
Looks like marble mosaic to me cut and broken from tile,as for the centre of the medallion,red marble??? I could be wrong though about marble but definitely a mosaic. Hard to tell from pics could be ceramic or porcelain.

Buddie11

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 02:35:27 pm »
After second look I stand behind what I said about tile,sure looks like it has been grouted.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 02:41:04 pm »
At that size just a small trinket/jewelry box !!  The old brown glue is likely hide glue !!  Probably 1920`s or 30`s !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 02:43:54 pm »
As this box is made of wood, there is no chance of it having broken tiles stuck on then grouted...as they would eventually fall off as the wood moves...look at my link..If this is,nt Turnbridge Ware...then I,m Chinaman...see also link and if it is as I think, then its worth £150+

http://www.tunbridgeware.org/index.pl?page=2;style=ignore_single;no_cache=1;order=title;upload=0;isa=Metadot::SystemApp::AntiqueSearch;expand_children=N;pagesize=9;op=search;

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 02:48:13 pm »
If this is,nt Turnbridge Ware...then its a very good imitation,...If i were you Josh...I,d take it along to Sykes the Aucrioneers for a valuation, see link for their address...I,ve got my tootsies and mitts crossed...

http://www.wmsykes.co.uk/saleroom.php

Buddie11

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 02:57:19 pm »
Well, bigwull here in the great white north that is what we install floor tile over,spruce or fir plywood. (Residential)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 03:08:51 pm »
We do the same here,except we sheet the floor with marine ply, then Unibond it, then use Flexi,adhesive... but, we,re not talking about floor tiles...we,re talking about slivers of wood no more than a 1.5mm thick on a 6in x 3in box...

Ipcress

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 03:13:01 pm »
Looks like a nice little marquetry box to me. Not sure about Tunbridge Ware and wouldn't class it as such but it's close.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 07:40:22 pm »
I do not see the quality in this box that should be for Turnbridge ware even though it is done similarly !! And the shell inlay I have not seen in Turnbridge !!  Just a similarly done trinket box !!
And it is not broken tile !! Not thick enough for tile mosaic !!