Author Topic: Help with 'loft find'  (Read 4504 times)

Stanfam15

• View Profile
Help with 'loft find'
« on: April 29, 2013, 09:35:19 am »
Hi there, I stumbled across this website while trying to identify a couple of items I found in the loft, I assume from the previous owners who are unfortunately un-contactable.
I was hoping to find out if anyone knows about these items and if they hold any value.
The first one is a Coalport paddington bear, it stands 4.5" high. see pics, looking for a value and more info if possible.

and the second is this rabbit, im not sure if it is a 'peter rabbit' or not, it has no printed markings however does appear to have some markings on the bottom which i cant make out, perhaps someone knows or is familier with the style?

I did find a couple of other pieces but lets see how we get on with these first.

Many thanks in advance

Glenn

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Help with 'loft find'
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 09:47:32 am »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 09:56:01 am »
Peter Rabbit...has the look of a Beswick...definitel y not a Doulton...as their backstamp, is always visible...but i get the feeling this might be a copy...see link to genuine Beswick

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-BESWICK-Beatrix-Potters-PETER-RABBIT-FIGURINE-1948-England-/290904886625?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43bb484d61

Stanfam15

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 09:59:58 am »
thanks for the replies,

I also thought the rabbit was a Beswick, but with no markings its imposible...

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 10:34:46 am »
you said there was markings of sorts..is it possible to take a pencil rubbing of the mark....

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile

Stanfam15

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 12:30:11 pm »
I tried the pencil idea but not producing what I hoped. I've taken some more pictures I'm about to put them on PC and see if I can edit them so it stands out more. That second eBay one you put in there s the same one, pics are identical. In guessing they've re-listed it.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 12:46:29 pm »
I tried the pencil idea but not producing what I hoped. I've taken some more pictures I'm about to put them on PC and see if I can edit them so it stands out more. That second eBay one you put in there s the same one, pics are identical. In guessing they've re-listed it.
Oops!!...Mart, I need a pair of your $2 cheaters.... ;D...but it gives you an idea of what it might fetch...as someone offered £50....which..seeing as how it cost you nowt....is not bad....and its a lot better than a poke in the eye fae a sharp stick....

Stanfam15

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 12:55:32 pm »
 :D this is true :D

well ive done a couple of pictures and put them through photoshop to try and make the stamp a bit more prominent...

still canmt work it out, think i may have photographed them upside down so you will have to do a headstand to take a proper good look, but it looks like it may be initials or a number, the first initial or number being a g or a 9...

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 01:11:44 pm »
:D this is true :D

well ive done a couple of pictures and put them through photoshop to try and make the stamp a bit more prominent...

still canmt work it out, think i may have photographed them upside down so you will have to do a headstand to take a proper good look, but it looks like it may be initials or a number, the first initial or number being a g or a 9...
Me do a headstand....are you aff yer nut...I,ve got a laptop i just turn the screen....nope, don,t think its Beswick...

Ipcress

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 01:49:40 pm »
It's not a well known make. Poundshop material.

leeb2012

• Who doesn't love junk
    • View Profile
    • Clearance Service
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 03:50:05 pm »
the paddington is worth around £5 - I had that one before :-)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 04:33:44 pm »
Worth more than a paltry £5,....one,s on ebay, still listed at £49, no bids, but, if this was listed at at a low start price i could see it making £20/25,

leeb2012

• Who doesn't love junk
    • View Profile
    • Clearance Service
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 04:44:15 pm »
you would have thought so .. however i have had this little guy before. After further digging around look at this!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 05:20:27 pm »
Oh!..i know, you don,t have to tell me...ebay is a very fickle place...I,ve seen things go for funny money...then a few days later the same item..fetches next to nothing.....I buy job lots at a local auction house,..and just recently i got a big box of bric a brac..for around £10..in the box were 5 wooden Table lamps, some old Worcester plates,a Capo de Monte limited edition Horse figure, that was in Pristine cond,that cost when it was first on the market..for £900...i put it on ebay,and got £70..and i was happy to get it,as it stood me £2,..then there was this,..it cost me, £2, and i sold it for £100...but my best find so far, was around 9 months ago, I got 4 x stereo speakers for £4 for the 4,they were in good cond, but missing their outer foam covering....I sold them for £900...they were JR150,s...just google that and you,ll see what they look like...this is the tray i got for £2.....you said you like quirky things...well hows about this,....its made of Bronze, weighs around 4kg, is in full working order,..my Postman hates it, but the kids love it....its a Door knocker...it cost me £6..