Author Topic: Pierre Louis Lachette painting on slate  (Read 3143 times)

cutnshoot84

• View Profile
Pierre Louis Lachette painting on slate
« on: May 01, 2013, 06:22:55 am »
This is a painting by Laiche that is of a little shack in the swamp that he painted on a 100 year old piece of rock slate from a roof that came from Europe . I have seen some of his other work but never of this picture in the swamp.

It has 1978 Pierre Louis Laiche signed on the bottom right .
There are also 2 holes that I assume were used to used to hang it from the wall. I don't know if they were made after the painting was bought by someone other than the artist or if it was like this originally . It also looks like at the top center of the painting and on the top left side, some of the slate might have chipped off , again not sure if it came that way or if they are wear and tear damage. Also on the back there is a piece of what looks to be some kind of cardboard that is glued to the back as cushion when it is hung from a wall. Again I am not sure if this is original or done by a previous owner.

( 1 )   Has anyone else seen one of his paintings like this ( other than all the clown paintings ) ?

( 2 )  Does anyone know if the 2 holes thru the painting to hang it are original or done by a previous owner?

( 3 )  Is the corner on the left missing/broke off by previous owner or have any like this been seen because most I see are full rectangle.

( 4 )There is another piece of the slate that looks to be chipped of on the top center because the color is slightly different.

( 5 )Do other  works by him have a backing on the back side of the slate rock or did someone add this after it was originally sold?

I was wanting to know how rare one of his paintings on slate rock with my landscape / swamp house theme is compared to other theme paintings he has done on the same 100 year old slate rock. I also would like to know what this might sell for as it is. What would it sell for if the painting was all original .
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:25:13 am by cutnshoot84 »

Ipcress

Re: Pierre Louis Lachette painting on slate
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 06:38:18 am »
Seen this for sale on the internet.

these tile slates were put on the old French Quarter-Vieux Carre buildings from that day forward. This slate is 100-200 years old, and you can see holes where it was nailed to the roof and removed from those buildings for various reasons.

Sounds like the seller of your slate is adding some " provenance "

The only paintings i can see are clowns or jazz vignettes

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 07:02:37 am »
The chip on the top centre of the slate, means nothing..its natural, if the chip was on the actual painting, then it would be virtually worthless, as for being 100 year old slate...add a few zero,s to that, it may have come off a roof 100 years ago, but,..as slate is quarried, then like all fossil rock.its millions of years old,..over here in UK,there are primarily.3 types of slate, that are used to slate roofs, 1 being Ballachulish,,which is Scottish,then there,s Welsh, then Westmorland....2 of these kind, are smooth,ish, whilst the Scotty, is rougher,..see image of Welsh
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 07:17:25 am »
I also see it listed in the classifieds...I think your asking price is fair, compared to what his later work are valued at. I'm sure the subject matter has changed over the years in order to appeal to the buying public.
I see most of the later pieces have a printed history of the origin of the slate, etc. adhered to the backside of the painting. The plain cardboard may have been his practice at the time.
Looks as if he is a prolific artist.
http://www.spring9.com/about_pierre.htm

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 08:44:09 am »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 11:41:11 am »
If you think this is worth more than the ones he sells at the stand,, it isn`t !!   This guy is a street artist and has simply found a way to market his work using the tile as a gimmick !! Recycling the old tiles and selling to tourists !!