Author Topic: What is this? (Heavy Cast Iron, marked "A.R.M. Co. 1886")  (Read 23100 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: What is this? (Heavy Cast Iron, marked "A.R.M. Co. 1886")
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2013, 09:42:37 am »
Someone want to tell me how spokes were secured in those slots ??  Just stick them in and hope they stay ??? My uneducated opinion is that the gear was used in an upright position with the rounded rim fitting into a sleeve with bearings !! Teeth on opposite side and used to propel or pull something forward !! I could see it in a lumber mill or similar !!  Don`t ask me what the rest of it is !!  Haven`t figured that out yet !!  Drilling rig is possible !!  Ferry ??

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2013, 10:41:55 am »
Someone want to tell me how spokes were secured in those slots ??  Just stick them in and hope they stay ??? My uneducated opinion is that the gear was used in an upright position with the rounded rim fitting into a sleeve with bearings !! Teeth on opposite side and used to propel or pull something forward !! I could see it in a lumber mill or similar !!  Don`t ask me what the rest of it is !!  Haven`t figured that out yet !!  Drilling rig is possible !!  Ferry ??

The wheels had rims (wood, iron, etc) that wrapped the whole wheel and kept the spokes in the hub. I'm no expert but that's my guess. This just doesn't seem at all like a gear to me... (again, no expert)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2013, 10:52:45 am »
capn answered it wonderfully.  That is why when the outside broke the whole thing would come apart!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2013, 12:47:38 pm »
Here's another example of a metal wheel hub:

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2013, 01:22:28 pm »
We are in Texas KC,, you know that I know wagon wheels !! Hubs on wagon wheels are wood and that plus the compression makes sense !!  I was reading a different post on page two or three that didn`t jive with my brain !!  But I ate lunch so I will go back and re-read it !! Forgot to quote it !! 

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2013, 01:44:28 pm »
We are in Texas KC,, you know that I know wagon wheels !! Hubs on wagon wheels are wood and that plus the compression makes sense !!  I was reading a different post on page two or three that didn`t jive with my brain !!  But I ate lunch so I will go back and re-read it !! Forgot to quote it !! 
classic case of open mouth before brain was engaged... ;D ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2013, 04:07:07 pm »
That's okay...we are having the craziest weather here...it rattles our brains, right Mart?

90 degrees one day, 39 degrees the next... up and down...up and down

They saying goes, if you don't like the weather in Texas...just wait a little and it will change!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2013, 04:28:31 pm »
here in Scotland .like today,we had 11deg c, in the morning...then it was chucking it down in the afternoon..and it was a measly 7deg.c   we can have the weather of the 4 seasons...all in one day,..if you,re ever thinking of going on holiday, and hope to top up your suntan....give Scotland a body swerve...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2013, 05:28:45 pm »
LOL !! I go through three sets of clothes a day !! Getting tired of doing this much laundry !! Never know if its going to be winter or summer !!  Spring is a has-been around here !! Cold has killed a number of my peppers, eggplant, squash, and slowed down my tomatoes !!  Potatoes, onions, lettuce and other greens sure like it though !! But I do not !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2013, 07:19:16 pm »
A nice balmy 78 up here in the N.W. today , clear & sunny , with great mountain views !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2013, 07:37:29 pm »
classic case of open mouth before brain was engaged... ;D ;D

No !!  Classic case of eating too late !!  Had company over the weekend and had light breakfast earlier than normal,, then busy in the garden,, should have eaten earlier !!  Zaps my insulin schedule every time !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2013, 07:41:36 pm »
Don`t rub it in Fancypants !!  :D  Normally we are the ones that get to brag about the weather while you guys are freezing !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2013, 03:07:16 am »

Spring is a has-been around here !!

But, .... but, ...... useta be ......

"A cold wet May will fill the barn full of hay".

;D ;D

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2013, 05:04:09 am »
Around here it's "April Showers Bring May Showers."

Worst. Spring. Ever.

People in Missouri constantly quote that tired old saw about "not liking the weather so wait a minute."  The fact is that we've been in this colder and wetter than usual pattern since February, with at least one storm a week, and it's boring and depressing.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2013, 05:10:32 am »
Get a grip!!.......Now we,re discussing the bloody weather,...you,know our problem...we,ve got too much time on our hands,....LOL!!