Author Topic: What is this? (Heavy Cast Iron, marked "A.R.M. Co. 1886")  (Read 23125 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: What is this? (Heavy Cast Iron, marked "A.R.M. Co. 1886")
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 05:39:16 am »
It looks like cast iron to me ..... but I don't think it is a hub for a "spoked" wagon wheel because those "hub" extensions would serve no purpose.

Now it might be a "hub" for a grist mill ..... or an idler "hub" for an old "belt driven" power supply for a factory or work shop. To wit:

to wit to woo....then that link to the ebay listing i posted might be from a grist mill?....ba humbug...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 06:10:37 am »

to wit to woo....then that link to the ebay listing i posted might be from a grist mill?....ba humbug...

GIMME A BREAK, .... Bigwull, ...... even the seller of that E-Bay listing doesn't know what the hell he/she is selling, to wit:

Antique Wagon Cannon / wagon Wheel Hub

Tis no wonder the British lost to the colonists, ..... wasting all that good cast iron on wagon/cannon wheel hubs that serves no purpose whatsoever in supporting the weight of the wagon/cannon.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 06:17:49 am »

GIMME A BREAK, .... Bigwull, ...... even the seller of that E-Bay listing doesn't know what the hell he/she is selling, to wit:

Antique Wagon Cannon / wagon Wheel Hub

Tis no wonder the British lost to the colonists, ..... wasting all that good cast iron on wagon/cannon wheel hubs that serves no purpose whatsoever in supporting the weight of the wagon/cannon.
Too Woo...No Grist mill Hub mentioned.... ::)

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 09:10:36 am »
It looks like cast iron to me ..... but I don't think it is a hub for a "spoked" wagon wheel because those "hub" extensions would serve no purpose.

Now it might be a "hub" for a grist mill ..... or an idler "hub" for an old "belt driven" power supply for a factory or work shop. To wit:

I've look at quite a few pictures of pieces like this, but the "Spokes" on wheels for machinery like this are iron and made into the actual piece.

The thing that is confusing is that the piece I have has those slots...which would only really make sense for wood because why would you slide metal spokes into a metal hub? I could be completely wrong though

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 09:19:44 am »
Guess I was thinking towards the direction of a water wheel configuration...
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 10:27:09 am »
Could have been the central hub into which the alternate teeth fit into !!  Like fingers into the slots !!  I didn`t see a way to attach and keep fast a wooden spoke !!  Wood would shrink and swell alternately !!   Would not have been a great idea to me !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 11:18:13 am »
Can,t be for Cogar,s grist mill,that,s for sure...those pulley wheels only have 6 spokes, this hub has at least 8..

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 11:32:27 am »
This thing is such a mystery!
Haha

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 11:39:25 am »
When you consider some of the huge mills that were operating,, its probably more common than we know !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 11:44:25 am »
no mystery...we make  it a mystery with all our conjecture...if it was a mill wheel hub, it would have had a bearing...as these wheels have to run relatively true,...whereas an early  wagon wheel/cannon wheel, is less likely to have had one...and i don,t see any recess on that hub where a bearing would sit....therefore,i say its a hub from a wagon/limber
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 01:01:26 pm by bigwull »

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2013, 11:49:39 am »
no mystery...we make it it a mystery with all our conjecture...if it was a mill wheel hub, it would have had a bearing...as these wheels have to run relatively true,...whereas an early  wagon wheel/cannon wheel, is less likely to have had one...and i don,t see any recess on that hub where a bearing would sit....therefore,i say its a hub from a wagon/limber

I agree with all of that and I am still 75% sure it is wagon hub of some sort.
Just wish I could find out who the manufacturer was to see what kind of wagon it was

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 03:51:36 pm »
...if it was a mill wheel hub, it would have had a bearing...

The 2nd photo shows it having a bearing race ..... at least on 1 end of the shaft hole.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2013, 04:13:20 pm »
...if it was a mill wheel hub, it would have had a bearing...

The 2nd photo shows it having a bearing race ..... at least on 1 end of the shaft hole.
A but your mill wheels have only got 6 spookes....this ones got at least 8 ..maybe 10

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2013, 04:18:41 pm »
That recess is,nt deep enough for a ball race ,my guess is thats where the flange would sit when the axle shaft protruded through and a cotter pin..or vine eye..would be stuck throught hloe to hold it onto the axle, and if you count the sockets on pic 2 you,ll count 5 therefore i,m sure this will have 10 spookes

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 04:39:23 pm »
this one is similar..same basic design,except that yours has the sockets recessed,,and these are exposed..yours has 10 sockets same as this,..if this one of yours is anything other than a wheel hub ...then Ghopper had better get his shorts off... ;D