Author Topic: Metal George Washington plaque  (Read 4664 times)

ACStanley

Metal George Washington plaque
« on: May 05, 2013, 09:51:40 pm »
I got this piece at a auction tonight and have been unable to find any info on it so far... it is signed LW on the right side in a oval. I was wondering if it could be gold leaf on the front? Item is 4'' x 6'' and weighs just under 4 ounces.

Thanks in advance :) 

Mr_Dunev

• View Profile
Re: Metal George Washington plaque
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 10:05:04 pm »
maybe it's just my computer but I don't see any pictures. Did you upload some?

ACStanley

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 10:43:33 pm »
sorry here they are...

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 01:42:46 am »
Hi, AC...where you been hiding....what is the base material,or is the back gold covered also.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ACStanley

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 10:47:38 am »
Hey Bigwull! Been busy! I havent been to auctions lately, but my brother and I are setting up a corner in our local antique store, so we have dove back into the auction world. I hope you have been well!

The back seems to be either copper or brass plated. There was a small green tarnish spot that has worn through silver. It is kinda visible in the back photo. Also, the plaque does attract to a magnet.

The small hole at the top is black in the center ring, so this tells me that this is original to the plaque.

The back of the plaque is not as detailed as the front, so the metal would have been pushed from the back to raise the front of the plate while being pushing into a more detailed plate. (I assume...) 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 11:07:54 am »
Looks like gold paint to me !!  Wrong color for leaf,, too dark,,leaf is bright !! Leaf is thin sheets that are applied with an adhesive !!  Usually you can look at indentations on an object and tell if its leaf !!  Can`t really see anyone using leaf on an inexpensive piece of metal !!

ACStanley

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 11:17:08 am »
Very true Mart. Thank you. Any thoughts on the application of this item? or the LW makers mark? Thanks!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 12:25:53 pm »
I don,t want you to get carried away AC...but...you never know...please look at this.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/George-Washington-Portrait-Plaque-Unlisted-Type-/370779128715?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item565428838b

mart

• View Profile

ACStanley

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 04:56:46 pm »
Well then!! lol thats a pretty good return at the realized $70 value... Astronomical at the $700 mark... And the one we have is in much better shape over both of those... hmmm... For what I paid I may just wanna put it away in a safe..

I really with I could find more out it though...

I dont get how you guys found those... we searched for about two hours last night...

Thanks so much!!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 05:07:54 pm »
Try googling George Washington metal plaque !!  There are a lot of different ones so you have to look through them !!  That one on ebay is ridiculous !! Think about it !!  What is special about it ?? Just a plated metal,, not as though his head hasn`t been copied before by hundreds of companies !! It gave no great artist or sculptor just LW,, same as yours !!  They tried to make it sound important without actually saying anything !!

ACStanley

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 05:25:45 pm »
LOL I agree Mart... I did take it with a grain of salt... Yet on the flip side that seller does seem quite reputable... yet again, the seller prob knows this and is why they listed that way...

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 05:36:14 pm »
as Mart says AC...its all in the wording...thats why this place is so good...we each see things through a different set of eyes....some more than others....and of late the way mines have been working...i,ll be needing...better lenses in front of mine.....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 05:37:29 pm »
BINGO !!!  And its listed (probably) worldwide or we know its on ebay UK and I found it here !! So if they get one bid from someone,, its all profit because they likely got it in a boxed lot of items !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 06:15:52 pm »
Well then!! lol thats a pretty good return at the realized $70 value... Astronomical at the $700 mark... And the one we have is in much better shape over both of those... hmmm... For what I paid I may just wanna put it away in a safe..

I really with I could find more out it though...

I dont get how you guys found those... we searched for about two hours last night...

Thanks so much!!
What more is there to find AC,yours is as good if not better than the ones we,ve found,..that one at near $700...does,nt look any better than yours, and the same goes for Mart,s...i,ve found over the years,its not about trying to convince the buyers...they make up their own minds,..curios like this,sell themselves....i had a similar thing a few years ago,..and as you will see it turned out very well for me,........
..5 years ago i was renovating an old apartment...i lifted the flooring to lay new pipework...and discovered a dagger in a scabbard..it was wrapped in an old newspaper dated 1947...i examined it..but it did,nt look like anything special,..the blade was dull, the scabbard was dirty..the handle was painted black..the cross bar was a little loose....i took it home and put it into a drawer...a few months later..my broth-in-law came up to fix my pc...whilst he was here i showed him the dagger.. as i knew he was into old weapons...but he did,nt know anything...later that night i received 4 emails from him....look here he said...they were all ebay item numbers...and  when i opened them...i nearly fell off my chair...there were 4 daggers for sale in the US...2 of which were almost identical to mine...both had bids of $2900...reserve not met...and $3400 reserve not met...after i,d read all what was written , i checked mine...mines was No38 of only 100 ever made, they were made for Benito, Mussolini,s Blackshirts...and were much sought after...after approx 2 months..and now armed with as much info as my brain could hold.. i listed it on ebay with a start price of £500 and no reserve...with 10 minutes to go it was sitting at £980..and at 30secs to go £1700....then all hell broke loose..and it went for £4.200...the guy who bought it was a direct descendant of the man who had been given it in 1933...and who whilst in the POW camp in Scotland had traded it for a pack of cigarettes......I,ve told this story to a few people..who have all said...that i was nuts..and that i could have got more....but , i was and still am as happy as a pig in shit...that i made £4.200 for nowt