Author Topic: Roseville Rosecraft  (Read 7977 times)

Geno

• View Profile
Roseville Rosecraft
« on: May 09, 2013, 07:56:55 am »
hey guys....since we solved the um "dinner gong" mystery I have a question for you...
Last Sunday at a flea market I found a Roseville Rosecraft hexagon 8.5" vase. The guy sold it to me for a ridiculously low price.
The problem is it has a small chip on the bottom and a  crack. The other marks are marks in the glaze from firing, not chips
I know if it was  a Roseville in a common pattern it would be worth nothing but Im not sure about this old one. Before I do something with it I'll regret, I want to get your opins on it how much value has been lost
TIA

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Roseville Rosecraft
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 09:33:34 am »
hey guys....since we solved the um "dinner gong" mystery I have a question for you...
Last Sunday at a flea market I found a Roseville Rosecraft hexagon 8.5" vase. The guy sold it to me for a ridiculously low price.
The problem is it has a small chip on the bottom and a  crack. The other marks are marks in the glaze from firing, not chips
I know if it was  a Roseville in a common pattern it would be worth nothing but Im not sure about this old one. Before I do something with it I'll regret, I want to get your opins on it how much value has been lost
TIA

Before I do something with it I'll regret.....were you thinking of hitting it with a hammer...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 12:03:50 pm »
I would call this a "shelf piece"...would still look OK sitting on a high shelf. Pottery buyers seem to be a particular lot...most don't buy damaged or restored pieces. (I used to have a good collector of early Roseville come in the shop with a bottle of Soft Scrub that he would check everything with for hidden repairs before he made a purchase. ::))

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 06:33:05 pm »
http://www.justartpottery.com/Detail.asp?pottery_detail=19864
Looks like a fake to me !! Link is a real one !! 
You said a ridiculously low price,,, How much ??   
Compare the two !!

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 12:03:38 pm »
Compare the two !!
Just did.. BTW....you seem really pissy. They look exactly alike. You are obviously the expert so tell me what you think is fake about it..that fact that I got it cheap???
Oh and as far as getting it cheap..it was very very very  oh, very cheap.
 JArtPottery sells repaired pottery, too

Kinda bugs you when I said I got  it cheap ::)
I also found this for $3.00 at a flea market last year.....must be a fake, too......

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 12:29:10 pm »
Are you for Real,...first it was your scandalous remark..last week, regarding Dumbf**k Southerners...to which i may add..you have,nt seen fit to utter an unreserved apology...then you, come away with, "you seem really Pissy"...to another member who, is trying to help you....had you been over here and said that to someone in person...chances are you,d end up with a sore face...as Pissy ..is a very derogatory remark...to say to anyone...I suggest you choose your words more carefully...for if not...then...you,ll end up searching for info on your own...if you get my drift....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 07:41:35 pm »
My opinion only !! Does it seem that in this computer age someone at a flea market that does this stuff for a living, would sell a vase even with a chip or crack that goes for $500.  for a few bucks ??  It would easily sell for $200. with the problems !!  Many can and do restore these rare pieces !!
And don`t even think they didn`t know what it is !! Because I would bet they did !!
"I don`t know" is a popular selling tactic at places like that !!
And that's what I do,,, I assume it is a fake until I prove it isn`t !!  Go look at all the Rv marks,, all I found were solid lines,, yours is a double line !!   I look at every difference between known originals and what is asked about !!  May not be fake but thats how it hits me !!
That's what any smart buyer should do !!
  And no,, I really could care less what you buy or what you pay !!  You are the one asking the questions here,, remember ?? If you don`t like my opinion,, simply don`t read it and go to the next one !!  Easy !!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 08:33:39 pm »
I think my opinion would be a replica. The one in the image link mart was kind enough to research, comment on and provide a link to has a few differences. The Vase in the link has a Satin Finish with Texture and no Crazing on the Sides. It also has wear and discolor to the bottom of the Vase from age. The "RV" Stamp on the Bottom is noticeably smaller and the Design on the Side of Vase is much cleaner.

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 07:38:05 pm »
Compare the two !!

The piece is definitely real.  Anyone telling you it is a reproduction has no idea what they are talking about or looking at.  It's too bad about the crack because it would be $300 to $400 vase in mint condition.

Thanks,

Greg and Lana Myroth
309-690-7966
www.justartpottery. com
www.artpotteryblog. com

Join our mail list for exclusive art pottery updates and specials!

We are always buying art pottery. If you have pottery to sell please ]
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2013 12:48 PM
To: gregmy@justartpottery.com
Subject: Re: Appraisal of a Roseville rosecraft hexagon with some damage

Thank you for your prompt response. I just have one question for you.
Does this piece look authentic ?  I had someone on an antique forum tell me it has to be a reproduction after looking at two pictures of the piece.
I do understand that without hands on you might not be able to tell me 100% .
The pictures I took  of the vase are as is, no enhancements.

Mart, the vase was $2, he wanted three but I got him down a dollar
And yeah, even in the computer age not everyone knows what something is or even knows where to start looking. People still dump grandmas things without a second thought at the Goodwill or yard sale. I knew by looking at it that it wasn't made for Walmart in China a couple of years ago. I had no idea it was an early roseville stamp.
I'm really not sure what pissy means on your side of the world  "wull" but here it just means a bit angry..someone's that types in all caps or like her lots of exclamation points and question marks.. more like an interrogation  than someone asking for more information.not derogatory as you stated

I hope people that came here for help take your opins with a grain of salt or two and not take what most of what you all say like it's stamped in gold.
I suppose I owe y'all a big ole thank you...so thanks for you help

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 02:35:32 am »
Compare the two !!

The piece is definitely real.  Anyone telling you it is a reproduction has no idea what they are talking about or looking at.  It's too bad about the crack because it would be $300 to $400 vase in mint condition.

Thanks,

Greg and Lana Myroth
309-690-7966
www.justartpottery. com
www.artpotteryblog. com

Does this piece look authentic ?  I had someone on an antique forum tell me it has to be a reproduction after looking at two pictures of the piece.

And yeah, even in the computer age not everyone knows what something is or even knows where to start looking. People still dump grandmas things without a second thought at the Goodwill or yard sale. I knew by looking at it that it wasn't made for Walmart in China a couple of years ago. I had no idea it was an early roseville stamp.
I'm really not sure what pissy means on your side of the world  "wull" but here it just means a bit angry..someone's that types in all caps or like her lots of exclamation points and question marks.. more like an interrogation  than someone asking for more information.not derogatory as you stated

I hope people that came here for help take your opins with a grain of salt or two and not take what most of what you all say like it's stamped in gold.
Maybe if you,d googled "pissy"...you would have got what it means...on this side of the pond....where we don,t call Southerner,s...Dumbf***s.....we have a saying..over here...and hopefully this may apply to you....."what goes around...comes around"....now you have a nice day...

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 05:28:14 am »
 "Mart, the vase was $2, he wanted three but I got him down a dollar
And yeah, even in the computer age not everyone knows what something is or even knows where to start looking. People still dump grandmas things without a second thought at the Goodwill or yard sale. I knew by looking at it that it wasn't made for Walmart in China a couple of years ago. I had no idea it was an early roseville stamp."

True. I just found a Lladro "Cupid" figurine in perfect condition for Ms. Ghopper at a garage sale for $7.00. The average asking price on the internet is about $250.00. I didn't even try to talk him down.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Ipcress

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 05:34:51 am »
Are the bases on Roseville items normally like that ? Looks terrible.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 06:20:45 am »
My late mother used to collect Lladro,s..she had around 20 of them....God awful things...I gave most of them away..as Christmas presents...and what was left went on ebay...

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 07:00:00 am »
Compare the two !!

Thanks,

Greg and Lana Myroth
309-690-7966
www.justartpottery. com
www.artpotteryblog. com

Maybe if you,d googled "pissy"...you would have got what it means...on this side of the pond....where we don,t call Southerner,s...Dumbf***s.....we have a saying..over here...and hopefully this may apply to you....."what goes around...comes around"....now you have a nice day...

Googled

Urban dictionary:

Definition of pissy

pissy

adjective

in a bad mood.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 07:10:57 am »
My late mother used to collect Lladro,s..she had around 20 of them....God awful things...I gave most of them away..as Christmas presents...and what was left went on ebay...

Most Lladros need to stay in "Old Lady Land" where they belong. However, I was super glad to get a steal of a deal and MsGhoppr likes it,  so it's all good!!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford