Author Topic: very unusual wedgwood bowl????  (Read 8142 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: very unusual wedgwood bowl????
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2013, 01:32:01 pm »
There appears to be an impressed mark to the left of the main Portland Vase backstamp ?

Looks like an impressed mark but can`t be sure !!  Can kind of see a 1 !!   Maybe a pic taken at an angle would help !!  Or take something with a color,, red soda, even a colored dish soap and let it run around the bottom !!  Might highlight it enough to see what it is !!  If the numbers are impressed the colored liquid should settle in the lines !!  If raised the liquid should flow around it enough to see !!  I used to use Kool Aid and water mixed a little stronger than to drink,,no sugar !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2013, 01:38:02 pm »
There appears to be an impressed mark to the left of the main Portland Vase backstamp ?

Looks like an impressed mark but can`t be sure !!  Can kind of see a 1 !!   Maybe a pic taken at an angle would help !!  Or take something with a color,, red soda, even a colored dish soap and let it run around the bottom !!  Might highlight it enough to see what it is !!  If the numbers are impressed the colored liquid should settle in the lines !!  If raised the liquid should flow around it enough to see !!  I used to use Kool Aid and water mixed a little stronger than to drink,,no sugar !!
Sounds revolting.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

leeb2012

• Who doesn't love junk
    • View Profile
    • Clearance Service
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2013, 01:44:44 pm »

i have tried to do this but the impressed number is under the glaze so it is not raised

It looks like a 7 or a 1 I am really not sure

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2013, 01:53:00 pm »
If not raised or impressed,, how is it done ??

leeb2012

• Who doesn't love junk
    • View Profile
    • Clearance Service
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2013, 02:23:48 pm »
If not raised or impressed,, how is it done ??
it is impressed but..... There is the thick glaze over the top and it is completely smooth

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 02:27:14 pm »
I read that the 3 stars (***) on the printed mark were used in the 1900-1920 era. Otherwise, I know nothing. :-\
What!!...have you lost yer big Book..... ;D

Ipcress

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2013, 02:28:16 pm »
What value could this be? Around £200???

Could be more. I've sold some Wedgwood and Daisy Makeig Jones bowls for £3,000 before. I doubt this is that valuable due to the pattern but it's certainly scarce.

I'd e-mail the museum. Please let us know what they say !

leeb2012

• Who doesn't love junk
    • View Profile
    • Clearance Service
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 03:34:50 pm »
What value could this be? Around £200???

Could be more. I've sold some Wedgwood and Daisy Makeig Jones bowls for £3,000 before. I doubt this is that valuable due to the pattern but it's certainly scarce.

I'd e-mail the museum. Please let us know what they say !
great thanks I will let you know ASAP

leeb2012

• Who doesn't love junk
    • View Profile
    • Clearance Service
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 09:21:14 am »
First of all I would like to thank people for there input you were a great help.

I have just received a reply from the Wedgwood museum, this is how it reads....

" Thank you for your email. The bowl you have looks to be a piece painted by a lady named Mabel Tatton.
Mabel Tatton (b.1885 d.1973) was a Paintress who started working at Etruria in 1907 after previously working for Minton Hollins and George Jones. She took over from her sister Ethel Tatton, as the head of the painting and enamelling department at Wedgwood, in around 1910. She sometimes signs her pieces with her monogram. She left the Wedgwood Company in c.1928. Her married name became Mabel Wilder.
The pattern does not appear within our archive and so the best I can do on a date is 1907-1928."

So this helps a lot and now all I need is the value :-) and the best place to sell this.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 10:49:06 am »
Where are you...general location,if in UK,...lots of good Auction houses,...who specialize in English Porcelain...Wedgwoo d, has a good name,...Auctioneer will also give free evaluation,..or you can send pics to these people..with a copy of the email you got,..and you will get a free evaluation,..Anita Manning,is well known in the UK...

http://www.greatwesternauctions.com/

leeb2012

• Who doesn't love junk
    • View Profile
    • Clearance Service
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 11:13:12 am »
Where are you...general location,if in UK,...lots of good Auction houses,...who specialize in English Porcelain...Wedgwoo d, has a good name,...Auctioneer will also give free evaluation,..or you can send pics to these people..with a copy of the email you got,..and you will get a free evaluation,..Anita Manning,is well known in the UK...

http://www.greatwesternauctions.com/
thanks for that information. Do you think this would be a better option than ebay?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 11:58:04 am »
Wait and see what the Auction house say,.Ok, ebay has a worldwide audience..but its a fickle place, and unless this bowl is what we all hope it is,..then anything can happen....whereas, If,for instance  you were to sell it at the Great Western  auction .then they are linked via the internet, for worldwide bidding,...me personally, I would,nt be selling something like this on ebay...anything can happen...like say a buyer lives on the otherside of the world, you send it,it arrives broken, they complain to ebay, your money gets held...na, if you sell via an auction house,..to me its the safer option...

Ipcress

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 02:15:54 pm »
First of all I would like to thank people for there input you were a great help.

I have just received a reply from the Wedgwood museum, this is how it reads....

" Thank you for your email. The bowl you have looks to be a piece painted by a lady named Mabel Tatton.
Mabel Tatton (b.1885 d.1973) was a Paintress who started working at Etruria in 1907 after previously working for Minton Hollins and George Jones. She took over from her sister Ethel Tatton, as the head of the painting and enamelling department at Wedgwood, in around 1910. She sometimes signs her pieces with her monogram. She left the Wedgwood Company in c.1928. Her married name became Mabel Wilder.
The pattern does not appear within our archive and so the best I can do on a date is 1907-1928."

So this helps a lot and now all I need is the value :-) and the best place to sell this.

Right - what you have there is a wonderful piece of provenance from the Wedgwood museum. Print it off, keep it with the bowl.
A rare bowl painted by someone who worked not only for Wedgwood but George Jones !

I can guarantee that the people at Great Western will do their best but valuing something like this is very difficult as there's no precedent, no previous sales to use as a guide.
 My own opinion is £200-300 with a fixed reserve - you don't want to set a ridiculous price and that estimate should attract interest from dealers, collectors and those who just love it. You get all three bidding and that's when things fly !!
 And i have known museums bid tremendously well for items they don't have  ;)
A museum curator i know of won a lot for £300 when she had budgeted £5,000 for. She couldn't stop shaking

Depends where you are but you should take a couple of good photos and e-mail them with the copied text from the museum e-mail to a few local auction houses. You want somewhere which has excellent fine art sales with internet bidding. I'd also advise you to wait until the autumn as the summer is not as good a time to sell ( people are busier etc )

You could try Ebay but with something this scarce there are too many potential pot holes.

If you let me know the county you're in, i'll list the best auction houses to contact
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 02:18:48 pm by Ipcress »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2013, 04:11:38 pm »
I would agree with Wullie and Ipcress !!  They know the UK sales well !!  Ebay is not the place for your bowl !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2013, 05:34:22 am »
Good advice here!!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford