Author Topic: Vintage Antique African Walking Sticks  (Read 1158 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Vintage Antique African Walking Sticks
« on: May 12, 2013, 03:48:14 pm »
This is a pair of what I think are Antique or Vintage African Walking Sticks that I purchased a few weeks ago and am trying to figure out if they are Antique (early 1900's or late 1800's) or just vintage.

I'm also trying to figure out what part of Africa or Tribe they are from. I'm thinking they are African Hemba but I'm not sure. I was told that you can tell the tribe by the type, style or length of the neck used in the art.

The walking sticks are both about 37 Inches in length. The larger one weighs about 2 Pounds 11 Ounces and the thinner one weighs about 1 Pound 7 Ounces. They both have colored beaded necklaces around the figures necks on the sticks.

The Large walking stick has a square hole in the center of the stick as if it may have been used to put something in and hold it up like a cross beam in a chair or pole or bed or something to sit on. Anyone have any clues as to what the hole was intended for if anything.

Thanks!
Kevin

" width="582" height="1525" border="0

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Antique African Walking Sticks
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 05:50:14 pm »
who are you trying to kid...have you any idea how many tribes there are in Africa... ;D.
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 03:32:21 pm »
Funny bigwull, :) But, Actually a good point of notation. According to one source there are an estimated 3000 Tribes in Africa and another source list 500 Tribes, now that's a big swing in difference. This shouldn't be too hard to narrow down should it? (yea right Kevin)  :)

The larger, heavier walking stick I think could have been a fighting walking stick. Perhaps one used by a person leading a group of people on a trail. The hole in the center could have been used to place a heavy long stone in and rope it into place to use as a weapon. Still trying to figure out what that hole in the walking stick was for... :-\
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 03:33:59 pm by KevinM »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 05:49:41 pm »
how many tribes?....its like up here in Scotland,...ask the average Scotsman ...how many whisky distilleries...ther e and ..he/she will say around 30...when in fact there,s over 100,and if you ask them how many different whiskies are there, they,ll probably say around 75/100....when in fact its over 2000...and the same goes for Scottish Castles...some say 30....when there is over 2000....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,