Author Topic: Can anyone help identify African / Tribal statues?  (Read 1131 times)

xatiayn

• View Profile
Can anyone help identify African / Tribal statues?
« on: May 18, 2013, 08:45:34 pm »
These were picked up in an auction from a moving company. The kind where you bid on sealed boxes. Paid $100 each box. There was a 3rd one but it was completely shattered.  What I do know...These are two plaster-type statues each approx. 44" high. The male one is a tribesman with a spear and a shield. Black paint with gold. The other one is a bare-breasted tribeswoman with an infant. Black paint with gold.

The other stuff in this person's crate at the auction seemed to be anywhere from 1950s to 1980s. Can anyone tell me anything about them? Time period? Worth? Or point me in the right direction?  African/Tribal plaster statue does not seem to get me anywhere in google.

I can take more pictures if needed. This was some quick shots as they were put away this afternoon.
Thanks for any input!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Can anyone help identify African / Tribal statues?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 08:53:23 am »
Is anything on the bottom ??  If these are plaster they were likely made as decorative items here in the U.S.

Ipcress

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 10:01:41 am »
Pics aren't the best but these look fairly modern

xatiayn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 05:03:53 pm »
There is nothing on the bottom. I wish. That would make it so much easier.

They remind me of some statues my Mom had in the 70s. Or do you think more modern than that?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 06:17:12 pm »
That's about what I had in mind !!  70 ish !!  They were making many decorative items from plaster and  many jobbers sold them at flea markets and on any corner they could park their van !!   Also had Oriental and Persian style rugs and all kinds of knick knacks !!