Author Topic: Handcrafted Antique Side Table--Need Help!  (Read 3153 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Handcrafted Antique Side Table--Need Help!
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 12:13:30 pm »
Looks like the "green man" is in this carving!  From the style of the piece believe it is mid to late 1800's.

Most likely a hall cabinet originally for a elegant home.  It is true that many of these pieces had marble/granite tops.  However, I am betting that yours had a beautiful cabinet top (or bookcase top) that has been lost over time.

I don't believe that it is a marriage of different pieces of furniture.  You will find that pieces from this time period were beautifully carved pieces that were made in sections and pieced together!  Either you removed a side piece or are missing it to cover up the joining of panels/pieces.

Gorgeous carving by the way!

You will see over time that pieces like this are broken up and just the beautifully carved panels remain and are used for wall hangings.

Sorry took so long to see/comment...traveling can't get a good connection often!  :)

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ipcress

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 12:17:14 pm »
54" long,, 20" wide and 33in. tall !!

That's alright for a console table.

tyedye lady

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 12:32:47 pm »
Thanks KC  Ok, so who or what is the green man?  and what would be the region or nationalitly of this piece.

Also, what kind of value does a piece like this have?