Author Topic: What do i have here? old,heavy and ?  (Read 4650 times)

gribur

• View Profile
What do i have here? old,heavy and ?
« on: May 19, 2013, 06:39:52 pm »
Hey all, I went hunting at the garage sales this weekend and bought these. I bought from a woman in her 50's and she grew up in a funeral home and said that these had been in the family since she can remember as a child. They are very very heavy. I am wondering if they are ivory? I have my doubts as i have read a bit but i am not in the position to make that decision. I do know one thing, either way they are old, heavy and intricate and ivory or not i am hoping it counts for something. Please chime in and let me know. i have close up pics etc that i can post or email, if you can help. Take care all
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 06:42:13 pm by gribur »

mart

• View Profile
Re: What do i have here? old,heavy and ?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 06:54:07 pm »
Can you take a good clear pic of top and bottom ?? If the last pic is the bottom,, you are too close and its blurring !!  They do not look like ivory,, they do look like a composite material !! Appear to be either vases or lamp bases !!  Can`t tell without top and bottom pics !!  Also was that a label in the last pic ,, blue and white ??

gribur

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 07:20:21 pm »
Here is a pic of top and bottom it is a label, just the price from the yard sale lol. i will post a top pic first and bottom second.  If they are composite are they of any value?

Ipcress

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 01:51:02 am »
They look like resin copies of ivory vases. Stuff like this has been made since the mid to late 20th.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 12:03:15 pm »
Totally agree from the pics they look like resin!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

gribur

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 12:58:24 pm »
i am just skeptical due to pin test results, no melting etc, also weight.  They sound very dense when tapped together the one actually has a small chip out of the bottom corner.  Who could i take this to to have it verified? i am in southern ontario.  I am not going to talk myself into these being real, i am just ruling out possibilities. ty for your help with this.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 02:41:54 pm »
Having looked at these "ornaments"..I am of the opinion that they are made of Resin Stone,..or Stone Resin,as it is also known...this "resin" is impervious to the hot needle test,as it is a mix of resin and real stone...this item here is made of resin stone,.and it too is impervious to the hot needle test,.also see text, explaining resin stone,...as for the bit that you have that has broken off,...I,d be crushing it with a hammer..and when it turns to powder you,ll know....

"Stone Resin" is a material used by the tile industry to mimic the look of natural stone. It is used for large items like the shower tray you mention as well as various trim items. Stone resin is far cheaper to produce than if the items were made of actual stone. A shower tray of actual stone would start out as a large slab of stone and then would have to be machined and hand carved to the desired shape. The same goes for trim mouldings and accessories like soap dishes, towel bars, tissue holders, and shower shelves. In the case of intricate trim mouldings, each one would have to be hand carved.

Manufacturers are able to mimic the look of travertine, limestone, and sometimes marble or granite with resin castings. They start with a rubber mold and use a liquid resin, colored to match the desired stone, to cast the piece. Once the resin sets up, the rubber mold is peeled away leaving a finished piece. The accuracy they achieve is remarkable and the color matches are quite good.

Most resin pieces are cast in colors that match the brown, ivory, red, and yellow colors of travertine. There are also colors that mimic the greens and similar colors of limestone. There are not many resin castings that mimic marble and granite because of the translucent color and veining of the actual stone. Acceptable matches are very difficult to produce.

Some specialty trims that mimic copper, bronze, and other metals also start out as resin castings. A paper thin layer of "metallic" finish is then burnished onto the surface of the casting. This also tends to keep the price down. A piece cast in the actual metal would be extremely expensive.

An alternative to stone resin is "cast stone". The same type of items are manufactured, but a concrete slurry is used instead of resin. The result is a concrete gray casting that must then be coated with a colored finish to mimic the texture and color of the actual stone. They must be well sealed because exposure to water will severly discolor the pieces. Resin, by its' very nature, is mostly impervious to discoloration by water
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

gribur

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 05:36:47 pm »
not quite sure what "ornaments" in quotations signifies but at the very least i have a couple unique items for my mantle and hopefully due to the age they do have on them, they may someday have some value for what they are.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 06:10:48 pm »
Just for your information,, ivory is not particularly heavy comparatively speaking !!  The weight is one key indicator that it is not ivory as is the coloring !!  Look on ebay and you will find other resin items colored like yours !!  They would look nice on a mantle or flanking a fireplace !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 06:43:32 pm »
not quite sure what "ornaments" in quotations signifies but at the very least i have a couple unique items for my mantle and hopefully due to the age they do have on them, they may someday have some value for what they are.
I use the word "ornament" as a metaphor....as for being unique...well that,s a matter of opinion...

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 06:48:54 pm »
At first I thought that they may have been soapstone but after seeing the fissures on the bottom I have to concur with everyone else. Resin in my opinion also.

gribur

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 07:14:57 pm »
A matter of opinion, maybe.  I would say that not seeing one in 38 years of life would most certainly make it unique, as nobody i have ever associated with has owned one either.  Now arrogance and ignorance are definately a matter of opinion and seem to be more common then originally anticipated.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 07:21:47 pm »
ah,well, maybe when you,re a good bit older...you,ll have learned to take things with a pinch of Salt....until proved differently..

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 11:59:21 pm »
gribur, you do have some unique and very decorative pieces there.  The fact that you have history with them makes them even more special.

Unfortunately, in the collecting world, just because you haven't seen them before doesn't make them highy collectible.  That is the heart-breaking side we see on this site quite often.  But all things valuable in life don't have price tags on them!

You should still admire and enjoy them!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ipcress

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 04:47:54 am »
There are some on Ebay for $9.99. Some not selling at lower prices.

Lots of them about and unlikely to increase much in value