Author Topic: Solid Mahogany Late American Classical or Empire? Table  (Read 11392 times)

Ipcress

Re: Solid Cherry Mahogany Colonial? Table
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 11:12:44 am »
Here is a photo of a very similar base on a table known to be Empire.  Also, the base is pictured in the Joseph Meeks' advertising brochure from the 1830s.  Looks to me to be older than revival. 

Yes.

The thing is that it's had a hard life and so may have been restored at some point. Also needs a polish / wax and then maybe it resembles a William IV ( 1830 ish ) table instead of an early 20th century " copy "

The pedestal looks identical to those being classed as 1830's, though in the UK the pedestals from the late 18th and early 19th are generally finer, more ornate.

Must admit it's not my cup of tea.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Solid Mahogany Late American Classical or Empire? Table
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 01:49:15 pm »
This style is not a good seller !! Most do not like the overall heavy look !! If this table were in good original condition,,here it might bring $100. on a good day and with a tailwind !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 02:03:46 pm »
It has all of the characteristics of a mid 19th century 1830s - 40s Empire table. Mart is right regarding the figural mahogany. If it could be attributed to Meeks and Hall it would push the price up. An period furniture expert could tell its pedigree if any.
It has never been a popular style since I have been around. It was reproduced widely in the 20s and those pieces are always veneered and perfect for Bigwull's inferno.

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 02:15:31 pm »
Late classical or pillar & scroll, often referred to mistakenly as late empire. Second half 19th century, machine made, very reasonably priced at auction

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 02:16:49 pm »
Late classical or pillar & scroll, often referred to mistakenly as late empire. Second half 19th century, machine made, very reasonably priced at auction

There you go!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

dr612

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 03:16:17 pm »
Looks like scribe marks on those finger joints, which would indicate an earlier manufacture and not machine made.  Need a closer picture.  They are reasonably priced, particularly in this condition. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 05:13:07 pm »

How are you doing Jacon4 ??  Showing us up again,, are ya` ?? ;D

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 05:57:58 pm »
Hey Mart, good here, i stop by from time to time and check to see if there is any old furniture on the board

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 07:35:35 pm »
Has not been much lately !!  Good to see you stopping in !!  Hope you are enjoying that blanket chest !!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 02:01:16 am »
Yeah, i am loving that blanket chest, it's much more impressive in person than in the pic plus it's sent me on a "squiggle" quest. I have a feeling we will never know why americans did that in paint decoration.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 03:46:48 am »
Yeah, i am loving that blanket chest, it's much more impressive in person than in the pic plus it's sent me on a "squiggle" quest. I have a feeling we will never know why americans did that in paint decoration.
maybe it was their children..that did the squiggles...,then later in the future, people like you could, go on a.... "pointless quest"....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 04:00:29 am »
I would add that american late classical is most often large chunks of band sawed pine which is then veneered with mahogany. This style of furniture was one of the first to be marketed as "ready made furniture" (machine made) and was popular in america for over half a century, 1850-1900.

The reason it is mistaken for american Empire is, it has the same curving lines as empire but none of the elaborate carving and thus, much less expensive to make.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:05:26 am by jacon4 »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2013, 04:09:18 am »
Ikea of its day....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 04:31:16 am »
bigwul, the word for today is SQUIGGLES! lol.

Squiggles is one of the reasons i admire early American furniture, there is a mysterious quality to it that english furniture for example, lacks. There is a certain "sameness" to english furniture because of the powerful guild (union) system in england that strictly regulated the construction and design of furniture.

In America, we had none of that, we were free to do as we pleased in construction as well as design which led to some magnificent adaptations in furniture construction & design. To sum up,
 WE RULE! limeys DROOL!  in early furniture.

Ipcress

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 05:16:03 am »
What does 16th century American furniture look like ?