Author Topic: I think it's a good find  (Read 7163 times)

amiga

• View Profile
I think it's a good find
« on: May 25, 2013, 08:31:38 pm »
Hi guys,
I have something that I think is a good find to ask your advice and valuation on. I am very excited about this piece and have put it in pride of place in my home. The girls are gorgeous. Hope you have a bronze expert laying around.  It is signed a moreau. Ta

amiga

• View Profile
Re: I think it's a good find 2
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 10:10:50 pm »
Hi guys,
I have something that I think is a good find to ask your advice and valuation on. I am very excited about this piece and have put it in pride of place in my home. The girls are gorgeous. Hope you have a bronze expert laying around.  It is signed a moreau. Ta
I hae a few more pics for you to see. I hope they help. I think these are spanish dancing ladies with folded fans does anyone else have a different idea.... Ta Amiga

gg27

• View Profile
Re: I think it's a good find
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 12:38:54 am »
Auguste Moreau, not really the style that I would associate with him, which is usually Art Nouveau ladies.  Do you know for a fact that it's bronze, not just cold painted spelter?  As this would make a huge difference in value.   Use a magnet to check this first.  GG

Ipcress

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 02:25:24 am »
Looks modern. Might be a reissue but certainly not from his lifetime.

amiga

• View Profile
Re: I think it's a good find ohhh
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 03:34:05 am »
Ok not feeling quite so excited now. Should magnet stick or not.... it is very heavy I cant lift it but the magnet does not stick..... omg should i cry now

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 04:18:42 am »
No, no tears,...at least we know, its not,ferrous metal,..i.e. magnetic....from the pictures i see ,my head tells me Spelter,...as opposed to bronze,...sometimes known as .Poor man,s bronze..on the base where those little mounds are, you could scrape away, a little metal, if it is bronze then it will show, as a dull copper/brass colour, but if as i suspect,that its spelter, then the metal will be silvery coloured...these mounds are where the legs have been attached to the base...furthermore. ..just because you get a negative regarding its origin...does,nt mean...its worthless,..I like it, but, if it cost you an arm & a leg, and you bought it as a bronze...then i can understand your reaction....but if it was a reasonable price....then ..just enjoy it.....its not always about...$$$$
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

amiga

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 04:40:33 am »
I appreciate your reply but I would love to know how you can tell it is not from his time... does that mean a copy? a fake? I am very new to this sort of art

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 04:58:11 am »
Perhaps if you,d read my post..you would begin to understand..first you have to ascertain...is it "bronze"..or is it Spelter...if its the latter...then its not a Moreau..........Spe lter..is as i,ve already said...a poor man,s bronze...see link to Spelter prices...had they all been bronze....then getting a statue for £10...would be out of the question....but having said that...not all Spelter ..is cheap...
Spelter is easily recognizable...its basically cast white metal,,then it is coloured to imitate bronze,
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

amiga

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 05:29:08 am »
I did read your post Bull as I always do with excitement but I was referring to the previous post about not being from moreau's age. I cannot do the test on the base because I can not move the dam thing lol. When hubby is at home I will get him to lift it for me .... stay tuned rofl

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 07:45:41 am »
"Bull." That's awesome!!

Moreau's name has been extensively used to "legitimize" copies and fakes through the 20th century. The subject matter, i.e. the two girls and the way they're dressed, looks more like a nostalgia piece from the second half of the 20th century rather than anything Moreau would have produced during his lifetime.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Ipcress

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 10:33:17 am »
I appreciate your reply but I would love to know how you can tell it is not from his time... does that mean a copy? a fake? I am very new to this sort of art

( and also relating to ghopper's post )

Experience. The base, the use of two-tone, the signature itself, the faces are incredibly smooth and " sharp " and the whole aesthetic tells me it's modern.

This does not necessarily mean a fake but what people in the art industry refer to as " after ". An homage, a new representation. However, some people would be blunt and say it's a copy.

there are four or five sculptures who's items turn up far more than others and one reason is they're easily copied without much recrimination. People pay £100 when an original might be £1,000+

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 12:09:56 pm »

( and also relating to ghopper's post )

Experience. The base, the use of two-tone, the signature itself, the faces are incredibly smooth and " sharp " and the whole aesthetic tells me it's modern.

Yes, exactly.

If this is an "homage" it's a pretty sad one. I'd say someone is just cashing in on the name and that's pretty much the end of it.

However, some people would be blunt and say it's a copy.

I'd be blunt and say it's a ripoff.

there are four or five sculptures who's items turn up far more than others and one reason is they're easily copied without much recrimination. People pay £100 when an original might be £1,000+

Is this one of them? Or did you mean "sculptors?"
[/quote]

-Broderick Crawford

Ipcress

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 12:42:09 pm »
Yeah, sorry ! Multi-tasking typo.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 04:37:29 pm »
Did you buy this in the U.S ??  Copyright law on art, unless its changed recently, is the artists life plus 70 years !!  If his work is now in the public domain,, anyone can copy it and sell it !!  But no matter,, if the price was reasonable and you like it,,you did well !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 07:09:06 am »
Auguste Moreau was French and died in 1919.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 11:30:20 am by ghopper1924 »

-Broderick Crawford