Author Topic: Help...English Pewter  (Read 4199 times)

vtbuck223

• View Profile
Help...English Pewter
« on: May 26, 2013, 06:25:19 am »
This is my first post....glad to have found what looks to be like a great forum. I'm hoping that someone can help me with the pewter charger that I picked up at an onsite auction at an old Inn that was going out of business here in New England. There were several other pewter items there...over the mantle...this is the one I ended up with. It was an impulse buy....I really don't know anything about pewter. As I have tried to research the makers marks on the back...I found it surprising diffiult.....the Brits...don't have any free forums or info on the net that I could find. Saw a lot of other similar marks doing general searches...but not exactly like this.  Can anyone help me identify the maker and date the object...I know it has a 1752 on the front...but is that legit? Much Thanks for your help.

vtbuck223

• View Profile
Re: Help...English Pewter
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 06:31:17 am »
More pics

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 08:36:58 am »
I,d say this was the genuine article,...everything looks right,the worn marks on the base,is what you would expect,..for something that is 260 years old,..now for the initials...HSE...or it could be a variation of ....the Ip man might know....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

vtbuck223

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 10:56:33 am »
Thanks....in addition to hoping to identify a maker....I am also curious as to what this was likely used for...I read that some of these were wedding plates? Would that be the likely case here....and thus the engraved date to commemorate the event? It also said that the three letters in some cases were the combined initials of the couple? is this likely what I have here?

Ipcress

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 11:08:06 am »
enquiries@pewtersociety.org

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 11:09:16 am »
yes this is often the case...The large letter will be the initial of the last name and the two side letters are the initials of the first names of the husband and wife

vtbuck223

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 03:05:23 pm »
Ipcress.... enquiries@pewtersociety.org   :( .... I'm sure "membership has its privilieges" but at around $50.... I'm not inlcined to join....to find out about 1 piece of pewter.... any other pewter forums?  I did order a couple books off Amazon on English pewter makers/ marks etc....only a few bucks each....maybe I can find some answers in there.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 03:12:51 pm »
maybe the Ip man,s got shares in the Pewter society... ;D..your best place is Google....just type in English pewter marks...and then you can spend the next month or two...sifting through the reams of pages on pewter...

Ipcress

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 03:23:27 pm »
Ipcress.... enquiries@pewtersociety.org   :( .... I'm sure "membership has its privilieges" but at around $50.... I'm not inlcined to join....to find out about 1 piece of pewter.... any other pewter forums?  I did order a couple books off Amazon on English pewter makers/ marks etc....only a few bucks each....maybe I can find some answers in there.

You don't have to pay $50

" 1. The Society is willing to help members of the public identify individual items of pewter if we can.

2. This service is free, but it is not available to dealers nor to individuals if the sole purpose of the identification is to facilitate the sale of the item. "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 04:17:35 pm »
A few months ago I found a good pewter site with a forum if I can find it again !!  I will look later !!

vtbuck223

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 04:59:48 pm »
Ipcress....my apologies...I read over the site you suggested and indeed it is as you say....many thanks.

Mart....thanks...wo uld like to have the information to that site as well.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 06:48:17 pm »
Hope I can find it again !!  Can`t remember what I was looking for !!  Give me a while !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 08:00:22 pm »
http://www.antiquetalk.com/index.php/antique-talk/42-old-pewter

Haven`t found the other site yet but this one has some interesting info !! See if the "antique talk" at top of page is a forum !!  I am calling it a night !! Will look more tomorrow !!  I think I was searching for antique metalware before !! Will try that tomorrow !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 07:08:35 pm »
http://www.antique-metalware.co.uk/

This is another site that might help you !! It has an "ask the experts" feature !! It shows that I have been there before so it may be the one I was thinking of !!  Try googling "identifying antique metalware" for different sites that have interesting/helpful info !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 02:59:28 am »
Hope I can find it again !!  Can`t remember what I was looking for !!  Give me a while !!
something made of Pewter...perhaps... ... ;D