Author Topic: German Large desk with built in safe  (Read 6500 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: German Large desk with built in safe
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 07:38:20 pm »
I think your best bet is to hope that the proprietor of Artsafes gets back in touch,..as for the value being less because of the safe and desk being made by different people..I would say no...from what i,ve seen here,they were made for each other,...i come to this conclusion, because the safe is covered by the outer desk door..which tells me that they when this desk was being made the safe was most likely,built in....at the same time,...if it was,nt then that would mean,whoever owned the desk, would have had to get Wiese to make a safe to the exact measurements of the cupboard it was going into, ..which to me..did,nt happen..these two came together at the birth of this desk..of that i,m sure...if you are desperate to get more info..from an alternative source..then may i suggest you send pics and details to these people in Scotland....they offer a free service...

http://www.greatwesternauctions.com/
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 07:55:05 pm »
Unless its marked on the desk somewhere that is darn near impossible !!  You are looking at this as one piece and its not !! It is two separate pieces,, a desk, and a safe !!  Even though the safe is from Germany/Austria the desk could have as easily been made here !!  When you take additional pics tomorrow,,take one of the back, the drawer dovetails and close ups of hardware, hinges ect !! Perhaps we can narrow down the timeline for the desk !!  Look for a name on drawer backs, bottoms, everywhere !!  Don`t think there is one but,,maybe !!  Is there any of your family you might ask ??  They would be the one to know its history !!

Micole1028

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 08:24:24 pm »
I have looked everywhere for anymore info but cant seem to have any luck. I will take more up close in depth pictures tomorrow. This was my grand fathers desk that I know he purchased soley for craftsman of the safe but when he was still living I was around 12 and didn't care to much about a desk unfortunately. I just know they traveled frequently to Germany. I have a king bedset that matches this desk that I would like info on to. ( will post later ) My grandmother did tell me the bedset was handmade. Now that im older I would love to know the history of all of it.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 05:34:52 am »
A king betset that matches the desk? That changes things, as there were no king beds in the 1890s. It MUST have been handmade. Can't wait to see photos.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 07:58:10 am »
Yes,, that would change the timeline entirely !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 09:06:21 am »
Not if the bedset was made at a later date, the safe, is 1890 ish..but that does,nt make the desk 1890 ish,i still hold that the desk was made with the safe at hand...and not made then the safe added much later,

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 11:15:06 am »
Depends on the nature of the match. The traditional understanding of the word is that the furniture was made at the same time,probably by the same craftsman, and of the same materials in order to match stylistically. The implication being, of course, that the king bedset will look like the desk. The problem, as Mart and I noted, is that king sized beds were virtually unknown in the 19th century, when this desk was obviously made.

Perhaps more pictures will clarify things.

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 11:42:47 am »
Need to see other pics !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 11:56:11 am »
The Desk.as i,ve said may not have been made in the 1890,s...but whenever it was made...the safe had to be at hand...as i can,t see the safe being made to fit the desk..more like the   other way round...

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2013, 12:01:48 pm »
The Desk.as i,ve said may not have been made in the 1890,s...but whenever it was made...the safe had to be at hand...as i can,t see the safe being made to fit the desk..more like the   other way round...
[/quote

I don't disagree.

-Broderick Crawford

Micole1028

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2013, 12:49:59 pm »
Kingset pictures will be in about 3 weeks due to its sitting in storage. But by chance I could have mis looked it and it not be an exact match. Sorry for making yall wait. I will be moving and have my hands on that item in 3 weeks.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2013, 01:03:55 pm »
Ah well,....we wait with anticipation...but in the meantime...can you tell us how the safe is secured to the desk,...and some pics of the drawers construction,the hinges of the doors,..is the top leather inlaid...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2013, 01:04:18 pm »
My personal opinion is that the safe was possibly brought from Germany/Austria around that time,, but set was made here much later !!

No problem,, just post pics of desk details now since that is the one in question !!

Micole1028

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2013, 02:18:17 pm »
okay desk details I will post tomorrow when im at the office. It is actually red felt for the top of the desk. The safe is made into the desk like it for no reason looks as if it was made to fit after purchasing the safe or before purchasing the safe.

Micole1028

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2013, 02:20:33 pm »
Where the hinges connect. The right side of the hinges closest to safe that piece of wood is connect to the safe as in its like built on to the safe its not a separate piece of wood. If that makes any sense at all.