Author Topic: cast iron glider  (Read 6857 times)

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
cast iron glider
« on: May 31, 2013, 07:15:13 am »
bought this yesterday for 20.00 thrift store, I can see three different coatings, originally green, then white, now black.  It runs smooth as a dream just looks like heck, I am in love with cast iron things but have no clue how one would go about having this restored and painted.  i am going to bring it in the house its that nice altho looks like a hard life.

I really need your input on it--i would like to have it all done for 150 or less am i crazy

I don't know how Peaceman is able to list so many pics at once, always look so great, I can't do more than 3 so I'll add the last one after this

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
Re: cast iron glider
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 07:17:05 am »
one pic more

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 07:42:59 am »
This is not cast iron...it looks like mild steel....and why do you call it a Glider....to me this is a Glider.... ;D ;D....Now ..i know...its a sort of rocking bench.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 07:48:41 am »
my husband said the same thing to me--but I thought they were called gliders since it doesn't rock it slides but the other thing is I think you are right about it being steel/it has gears and mechanisms i thought it was cast iron but I am wrong==do you think anything is cast iron on it

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 07:59:09 am »
Cast iron is very brittle...the gears might be,but i,d say they are more likely to be steel,..the framework is definitely steel.to clean this up, you,d be better to get it shot blasted,

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 08:08:00 am »
if I told you its had three coats of color I can see, green white now black--any estimates of age/  i see no name brand/markings home made maybe?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 09:26:50 am »
This is most likely wrought iron!

It is called a glider!!!!!! Found under Patio Furniture classification. Called Garden Bench Glider, Garden Chair Glider, Patio Glider, Bench Glider, etc.

Great buy for this.  This are so-o-o-o-o enjoyable.  Yours isn't an antique!  These take a beating out in the weather (depending on where you live).  When original paint started showing rust stain they spray painted it.  When that paint started showing the color below, again painted.  Been there done that! 

Needs some stripping and spray paint and wha-la....relifed!!!!

You can do all of this yourself...cheaply!!!  Some people let others do the stripping (hardest, labor intensive part - BUT NOT THAT HARD TO DO). Just get stripper, a good wire brush and prep the area you are working at! You can use a can of spray paint!!!!  When I did mine it took 2 cans.  Rustoleum works great!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 09:34:04 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 09:29:24 am »
thx KC---get to say I told you so to the hubby and wully--

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 09:42:55 am »
Yepper!  Just search "wrought iron glider" and you will get more pics than you ever wanted!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 10:00:01 am »
thx KC---get to say I told you so to the hubby and wully--
I don,t think so.....Wrought iron is an iron "alloy" with a very low carbon content in contrast to cast iron, note..the word alloy... ;D.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 10:07:22 am »
It is so!!!

Also, just search how to paint wrought iron furniture and you will get lotsa helpful step-by-steps.

Some people just sand lightly, wash down, dry well then paint without totally stripping the piece!  Just depends on the look you want!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 10:14:18 am »
It is so!!!

Also, just search how to paint wrought iron furniture and you will get lotsa helpful step-by-steps.

Some people just sand lightly, wash down, dry well then paint without totally stripping the piece!  Just depends on the look you want!
What..?.".it is so"...i,m not disputing that it may be wrought iron....if you had read sugercubes post properly...as to 2...I told you so"....she,s thinking wrought iron and cast as being one in the same....which as we all know...they are not.....so there.... ;).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 12:26:27 pm by bigwull »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 10:17:55 am »
Made me laugh Wullie....reminds me of my kids when they were little..."so there"!

Agree...hope that you (poster) realize there is a difference between wrought iron and cast iron!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 08:51:32 pm »
It looks like steel to me !! !! Like KC said,, re- doing this is easy,, follow KC`s instructions !! Me,, I would just sandpaper, steel brush and rustoleum !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 03:48:32 am »
With 3 coats of paint, using a "stripper" is a slow process because it usually will only takes 1 coat at a time off.

You might want to try a "heat gun" and a stiff wire brush. All 3 coats will peel right off to the bare metal. Move the "heat" slow like across the paint and it should start "bubbling-up" and when it does ..... "scrub" it with the wire brush and all the paint will come flying off ....... and it will harden before it hits the floor ..... and then you sweep it up.

And ps:
I don't know how Peaceman is able to list so many pics at once, always look so great, I can't do more than 3 so .....

If you "upload" pictures via "Additional Options" ..... then the "size" and "number" of pics are limited.

But you can "upload" your pics to say PhotoBucket ...... and then "copy" the "Direct url Image Link" for that PhotoBbucket picture ..... and "paste" it in your AntiqueForum post, ...... then high-light that "link" ..... and "click" the Insert Image tab located below the "I"talic tab.

You can enter a description for said "pic", either above or below the "pasted" link ...... and you "pic" will appear anywhere in you post that you want it to along with its description.

And I guess you could post a dozen or so of said "Image Links" in the same post iffen you wanted to.

There is no "limitations" as long as you are not "uploading" the actual photo to the ASF data base.