Author Topic: Unable to date unmarked brass lamp and fireplace set by same manufacturer? Help!  (Read 1538 times)

TucsonJoni

• View Profile
I have hit a brick wall when it comes to identifying these pieces. There are no identifying marks, not even a "made in china"- except on the electrical plug of the lamp, which is of a plug manufacturer. They appear to be by the same manufacturer, and the base used is the same for both the fireplace tools and lamp. The base measures 5.25 inches X 9.25 inches and has shell feet, and the lamp is quite heavy at 5 pounds. It feels smooth and solid in my hand- it does not feel cheaply made and does not look like brass plate. I have found the fireplace sets all over the web, the "finials" of the set range from horse heads to golfclubs, my set is of birds, which makes me think it is from the 1970s- but some dealers on 1stdibs and ebay are calling this from art deco period (and priced accordingly!). But no one has information on country or manufacturer. I found a lamp at the antique mall yesterday with the same base- but with a detailed gryphon on its post and glass shade- selling for $700. It also was unmarked. My gut tells me these are early 20th century, but I have doubts! If there is any input yall could give me on date and manufacturer, I would truly appreciate it! I bought this lamp to spray paint over (stupid idea!), but changed my mind and decided to polish it up and find a period appropriate shade, when I figure out the period hahaha!

Joni

mart

• View Profile
Can you take a pic of the entire fireplace set !!  Do you have the shade for the lamp ??  Would help if you can straighten the pic and take one with the shade on !! Just looking at the base is no help !! Many mfrs. used similar styles/shapes !!

TucsonJoni

• View Profile
Here are some more pics. The shade I do not believe is original- it looks like someone took it off of a ceiling fan. The photo of the fireplace set I took when I bought it- currently at my fiancees house so can't get a good one right now! Hope this helps- thanks so much!

mart

• View Profile
Actually that shade is correct for that lamp,, probably late 30`s !! Nice one but many of these are not marked so kind of hard to guess a maker !!  Too many to guess !! And who made it doesn`t help as far as value goes !! Its condition does though and this one looks good !! Not a huge value and in my area probably $50. to $60. !!  Fireplace set looks newer to me,, coated brass,, but need to see better pics when you get them !!
Frogpatch was in the lighting industry many years and may have an idea on mfr !!  Maybe he will pop in tomorrow !!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 08:47:29 pm by mart »

TucsonJoni

• View Profile
Thanks so much! I'll put pics up as soon as I go see him... I'm pretty sure it is solid, but I am definitely not an expert! And the lamp- I'm glad I didn't trash that shade, not going to use it, but nice to have  :)

mart

• View Profile
Its a nice Deco style and probably would sell well on ebay !! Probably more that what it would bring here !!  Don`t change that shade or value drops 50 to 60% !! And sure don`t paint it !! 

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
from what i,ve seen whilst searching...for similar Companion Sets....i,d have to say you,d be surprised as to the value of yours..Dealer price,s are always higher,...but, yours has to be worth in thr region of £100+..over here, ..i,ve seen some that are not as good as yours and they are asking £150+
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Nice set! Agree that the shade looks original.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford