Author Topic: Hand-me-downs  (Read 3762 times)

NaturalKing

• View Profile
Hand-me-downs
« on: June 02, 2013, 06:35:17 pm »
I have some hand-me-downs that I'm curious about. I can find similar items, but nothing that is directly like them. I'm curious about a better description someone may have. Also, I don't want to sell them but I'm curious what their value is, I can't help but be curious. If they have high value, I will keep them a little further away from the kiddos.

1) A pair of pitchers. I am told they were hand-made and show the imperfections to prove it. There are no markings on them at all. My grandmother told me they were her grandmothers. I think they are pottery and cobalt blue.

2) What looks like a 1930s Dobro guitar. There are no markings at all on it anywhere. I think it's the natural finish but I can't find one anywhere with that finish or style. It has light rust on the metal.

Thanks for your time

mart

• View Profile
Re: Hand-me-downs
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 07:36:33 pm »
Can we see the bottom of the pitchers ?? Even if no markings may help determine age !!  Guitar is out of my area but we have others more into music !!  Looks like the pitchers were part of a set that would have the bowl under it !! Used on a wash stand before indoor plumbing !!  Most of those were simple utilitarian pieces and many were pottery !!  Small pitcher may have been for drinking water also in the bedroom !!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 07:40:52 pm by mart »

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 09:11:19 pm »
The "Fish Scale" pattern Blue and White pitchers are generally recognized as being a product of  A.E. Hull, Crooksville, Ohio.
http://www.rubylane.com/item/169093-2422/Large-E-Hull-Salt-Glazed
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 09:15:17 pm by Rauville »

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 09:34:58 pm »
The tuning pegs on the Dobro indicate anytime from the 1920s-1950s. My best guess is that it's a Sear & Roebuck (or rebranded S & R) mail order one. Looks to me like they were trying to rip off the look of an early 1930s National. Namely the unique diamond shaped pattern on it. No name on it could make it a Silvertone that someone was embarrassed to own back in the day. I'm leaning towards a 1950s Silvertone because of the general look to it, the unique f hole shape that was used on Silvertone acoustic guitars in the 1950s, and the very "Silvertone-esce"  head stock shape. Silvertone was the name of the Sears & Roebuck mail order guitars and amps for a long time. I doubt that it's worth more than $150-$200 assumign it plays well.

Those old Silvertone's are fun to play, but they usually weren't built very well and the necks warped on them very easily. If that happens, then you either have expensive repairs to make, expensive firewood, or cheap garage art.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-50-s-Silvertone-Dobro-Resonator-Guitar-/290879132971?pt=Guitar&hash=item43b9bf552b&nma=true&si=NBv3xo%252BEreJfpkuv8lr8uXmB8nE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.retrofret.com/products.asp?ProductID=1536&CartID=
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 12:43:43 am »
Thought this guitar was familiar...reminds me of this album...from Dire Straits...

I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 12:57:14 am »
A classic album. I always felt that the Making Movies album was more organic, like the record company wasn't influencing their sound as much. But it was Dire Straits, did they even write a bad song?

Technically a resonator on the cover, but they've very similar to a Dobro.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 05:40:31 am »
I want my.....I want my.......I want my.......MTV....... ;D
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 06:00:25 am »
I want my.....I want my.......I want my.......MTV....... ;D
Awe  ,diddums...have you got the hiccups.... ;D

NaturalKing

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 06:36:34 am »
Here is the pic of the bottom of the pitcher (they both look alike on bottom)

I was blown away that someone described the pitcher with a scale pattern, you were spot on. I never would have thought about that part, I was too focused on the color, design, material, etc...great work and thank you

I also like the theory on the guitar. I can't find the diamond pattern on old Dobro's, possibly because it's a "knock off". I'll admit I wondered that at one point in time when I read Dobro lost their patent but didn't follow it up, guess I should have. My grandpa always told me to make sure I loosened the strings after playing to prevent it from warping so I assume it's early and without the support rod.

NaturalKing

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 07:07:24 am »
I'm so impressed with these forums I have a couple more items in question;

1) A gone with the wind lamp. It's pink with no markings. It's only 10 inches tall.

NaturalKing

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 07:09:20 am »
2) The mystery item. I possibly should have trashed this long ago. But I have issues throwing things away when I don't know what they are. (go ahead and make fun of me for storing this for years)  ;D

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 07:31:56 am »
I'll make a guess on #2 and say ....... it looks to me like a "pressure" switch.   :P

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 07:43:49 am »
Your second item appears to be a "Buzz Coil", used in the ignition system for an early engine. (Ford Model T's used 4 of these, one for each cylinder.)
http://www.old-engine.com/magbuz.htm

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 08:40:04 am »
I don,t think its a ZZZZZZ coil...if you look on the left side you can see what looks like pipe clamp....

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 09:36:51 am »
Early heater box? I've seen similar ones on pre-war Pontiacs.