Author Topic: What IS costume jewelry?  (Read 3671 times)

debodun

• View Profile
What IS costume jewelry?
« on: June 03, 2013, 06:55:12 am »
Apparently my definition is much different than people that stop and ask for it at my sales. When I say I have costume jewelry, their eyes light up but quickly turn to looks of abject disappointment when I show what I have. To me "costume" is stuff like Mardi Gras necklaces, snap beads and plastic brooches and earrings. When I ask what they really want they usually say something to the effect, "I want costume jewelry made with gold, silver or platinum." Then I respond "That's not costume, that's REAL jewelry!" They just look at me like I am hopelessly obtuse. So I wanted another opinion as to whose definition is closer to what constitutes COSTUME jewelry.

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
Re: What IS costume jewelry?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 07:10:58 am »
or things like fake pearls, cheap rhinestones, fake diamonds things meant to be deceiving as the real thing...

Ipcress

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 07:13:09 am »
You're using the definition used by auction houses and antiques dealers. Sounds like they want jewellery for a dinner party

To me, costume jewellery is non precious metals, anything from something " blingy " that girls wear to accessorise their outfit, to some of the 1920's to 1960's items which can cost more than their gold or silver options.
Interest has grown over here in the last few years. You'd be able to pick boxes of it up for £10 a decade ago.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 08:47:44 am »
From what you are describing...i.e.sn ap beads,& plastic whatevers....does not sound like costume jewellery..it sound more like what you,d expect to find in a Lucky Bag.....see link to Real Costume jewellery...and as the Ip man says some costume Jewellery .has become very expensive....

http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy-ab&q=images+of+costume+jewellery&oq=images+of+costume+jewellery&gs_l=hp.12..0.32297.36392.2.39857.10.10.0.0.0.1.476.1661.6j2j4-2.10.0...0.0...1c.1.15.hp.RxVwuphd_uM&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47244034,d.d2k&fp=a3a6d685d7ca9d2c&biw=996&bih=563
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 09:24:19 am »
But it can be made of anything other than precious metals !! A few types of costume jewelry are cheap gold filled, plated and other things !! And other types are good quality but with less expensive stones and are marked by mfr or designer !!   To me costume jewelry is anything that is not real !! And those Pop Beads from 50`s and 60`s are now becoming collectable !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 09:25:02 am »
I have collected costume jewelry for many years. These people are looking for example : flower jewerly from the 60's, maybe with designer names, Coro, Trifari, Weiss, etc. Check those names on ebay. There is also antique jewelry, and victorian jewelry. I could go on all day. If you check out ebay it will give some idea.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 09:35:35 am »
But it can be made of anything other than precious metals !! A few types of costume jewelry are cheap gold filled, plated and other things !! And other types are good quality but with less expensive stones and are marked by mfr or designer !!   To me costume jewelry is anything that is not real !! And those Pop Beads from 50`s and 60`s are now becoming collectable !!
from what debo...has described..i.e. plastic brooches & snap beads...i don,t think this is the kind of costume Jewellery that punters are after...and if her "costume Jewellery"is anything like her broken down table...then its no wonder that she can,t give it away... ::)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 09:37:35 am by bigwull »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 09:54:59 am »
Its all in how you look at it Wullie !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 11:58:04 am »
debodun;
What those people are really asking is: "Do you have any collectible jewelry that you are unaware of and are willing to sell for a meager pittance?" ;)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 12:09:50 pm »
There,s one thing for sure...debodun..nev er came up the river on a Banana boat.... ;D

goodoldvintage

• View Profile
    • Good Old Vintage
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 11:51:14 am »
debodun;
What those people are really asking is: "Do you have any collectible jewelry that you are unaware of and are willing to sell for a meager pittance?" ;)
Too true Rau.
Basically deb, research anything with a name on it.
A pretty penny can be made on the good stuff ;D
every time I list anything with a name (Ciner, Trifari, Coro, even Sarah Coventry!), it sells in minutes.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 11:47:02 pm »
Greenacres definition is correct.

Non-precious metal/stones. 

Plastic snap beads, etc. are not costume.

However, celluloid jewelry from the early/mid 1900's does fall into the category!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 10:03:35 am »
I have some Monet earrings I need to list !!  Haven`t had time yet !! Garden is going !!

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 02:18:32 pm »
I know many people around here look at it differently. Some shops consider costume jewelry to be gold or silver pieces - a few antique shops. Other places consider it to be just about anything.

I had some nice pieces of what was considered to be costume jewelry around here at an auction. I had what they call High End costume jewelry in some auctions from Monet, Napier, Sarah Coventry, Coro, Trifari and I can't remember who else, but ironically the person who sold it (where I took it) mentioned in the description nothing about it, but yet they mentioned the same designers and being high end on their own stuff they were selling in the auction and of course got good $ out of it.  Mine they acted like it was junk, yet it was nice and the same exact designers!
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 06:12:31 pm »
I have done better on costume jewelry than anything else on ebay !!  Even just ordinary stuff !!