Author Topic: Who knows the baroness ?  (Read 14135 times)

gerspee

• View Profile
Who knows the baroness ?
« on: June 11, 2013, 09:26:38 am »
Absolutely love girl from Italy and painted by a Dutch Baroness but by the looks of it at that time living in London . So who know this Baroness as a painter and knows more about her stay in England maybe ?

Ipcress

Re: Who knows the baroness ?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 11:08:14 am »
London, yet dated Rome 1900. Bizarrely signed.

I think this is a fake or an oilette

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 11:28:22 am »
Not a fake and real oil painting on canvas  . It's been restored and put on a wooden back in the fifties.sixties with the frame  . This family is a well known Dutch higher class family but some off them where living outside the Netherlands at that time . So not to much knowledge  what the where up to . So reason question on forum .

Ipcress

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 02:28:19 pm »
Have you links to details about the family ?

I have not once seen anyone put the town in which they live on a painting aside the place it was painted.

There appear to be only a few areas on the picture where there's evidence of brushstrokes applied - her right foot, beneath the signature etc.

And i'd expect any aristocrat who painted in such a manner that brushstrokes were not discernable, to sign with a much more stylish hand

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 03:08:39 pm »
There's some links to this family related to one off the queens off the Netherlands as a member off the royal household .And in these days there also was the Director off the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam from this family Riemsdyk .  But in what relation this Baroness is related to this side of the Riemsdyk family is unknown . The painting is real but hard to show on a photograph for the internet .  But if you feel it and see close up it's very good to notice that it's hand painted . It's just very fine painted . Have some more paintings in this house (around 50+ ) and i know what to feel en what to see  to make it a hand painted painting . But the sir name and place and title baroness and Rome 1900 is for me also a strange way of signing a painting . What it looks to me is that she was a very good and skilled hobby artist who only made paintings for her own amusement and family ?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 03:20:37 pm »
Love the picture/subject.

I would like to ask if you can tell, by looking side view...Is it oil or clear painted over a printed canvas?  That has been done quite often...with the paint strokes in the clear paint.

Have to agree with Ipcress, Very strange!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 03:41:06 pm »
No . Just a  even more better look with a strong magnifying glass and it is totally painted overall . Just made a detail picture for you .

Ipcress

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 04:06:11 pm »
Is it possible to have a similar picture of the face ?

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 04:18:02 pm »
Here it is and freshly made .

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 05:35:02 pm »
it is my belief that this is a canvas print...that has had acrylic paint..applied to make it look like its oil on canvas....for had this been an oil on canvas then i doubt very much, that we would see the weave of the canvas below the paint....why don,t you take it to the Rijksmuseum....in Amsterdam... i,m sure they,ll be able to tell you what this and the other 50 that you,ve got...are worth.....my own personal view on this is....around....20/30E.....i,ve got some just lilke it...and i,d swear they were oil on canvas.....but..... ..............with the technology that is available now....you can be made to believe anything....this is tourist fodder.... ;D......bought by a Dutchman....with deep pockets and short arms..... ;D;
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 03:15:50 am »
Well Just a very good look again outside in the sunlight and it is real painted . Also had a phone call with a Dutch paintings expert known from the Dutch antique road show who I have send the pictures . And Baroness is known as made some pictures but nothing more . So real and if I want more info me have to pay his expertise . So still need to know more about this Baroness and her past in England .

Ipcress

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 03:48:57 am »
it is my belief that this is a canvas print...that has had acrylic paint..applied to make it look like its oil on canvas.

That's what i meant when i said Oilette. Originally term used on postcards by Tuck And Sons with an embossed effect to make them resemble paintings and used in auction house catalogue descriptions. Also, sometimes referred to as a print with heightened white or body colour.

Still no lead on this Baroness. What did the A stand for in her name ? Absolutely nothing online about her so far.

And the signature / date is still worrying.

A few years ago i was helping to catalogue an auction and the paintings was split between myself and the auctioneer. Some of the prints and lesser works were placed in a more general auction. Whilst looking at these, i was taken by a painting bearing the name S Barling-Clarke. The auctioneer had catalogued it as an oilette / print on canvas. I looked at it. The canvas was old and with the original stretcher. The work was incredible smooth and hardly a brush stroke in sight. I came to the conclusion it was an original oil on canvas. Everything about it was consistent, authentic and after a little research i found that this was how Barling-Clarke painted. You need a wonderful hand to paint in this manner.
The above painting is not like this as there are areas which concern me.

This was the Barling Clarke oil on canvas and it sold for £1,700.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 04:08:03 am »
Like the Ip man said....i too can find no trace of A.van Riemsdyk...all i keep getting is an Ice Hockey player....i think this is a turkey...... ;D ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 04:13:01 am »
Could not the Baroness have been living in London, ........ but on holiday in Rome when it was painted?

Doesn't most everyone write something on the back of some of their photos to remind them of when n' where it was taken? ;D

What is the nationality of the female in the painting.

Is it Dutch, English or Italian?

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 04:19:20 am »
Like the Ip man said....i too can find no trace of A.van Riemsdyk...all i keep getting is an Ice Hockey player....i think this is a turkey...... ;D ;D

HA, .... I've painted 8 or 10 "oils" ..... but I don't think you will find a reference on the Internet of my artistic abilities.  ;D ;D ;D ;D