Author Topic: Is this a sugar shaker? Who made it and when?  (Read 6778 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Is this a sugar shaker? Who made it and when?
« on: June 12, 2013, 05:46:17 am »
I snatched this off a table at the local historic society yard sale. It was really early and they were just setting up. I could have actually walked there, that's how close it is. This looks like a jumbo salt shaker with a silver plate top. The holes are way to big for salt. It measures 7 inches tall and is pressed glass. There is a mark on the bottom that you can see in the picture. It is a pentagon with a flower. I am not sure if it has anything to do with the maker or just a design. When were sugar shakers popular and is this one? It had a white powdery residue inside it but I was not about to taste it. Thanks

What is up with the pic loading? This is the second time it locked up my computer. I hit reload and looked and the post was up.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 05:48:29 am by frogpatch »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a sugar shaker? Who made it and when?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 06:03:38 am »
good snatch....hope you paid for it..... ;D    looks like a suger shaker to me....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 06:11:00 am »
That's what it looks like !!  Great buy !! I have never seen that on bottom,, not part of design,,mark of some sort !! Sugar shakers were big during Victorian era and through 20`s I believe !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 06:41:56 am »
Thanks,
 I paid a dollar for it Bigwull. I bought a great bridge lamp with a green onyx base and accent ball at the same place for ten bucks and a white ironstone slop pot for two dollars. We always look  forward to this annual sale. The members of the Havens Homestead Museum donate the merchandise.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 06:56:22 am »
I always called them "Muffineers". I thought it sounded more Victorian. ;)
http://waybacktimes.com/muffineers.html

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 07:08:34 am »
I like that name too, Rauville. It is making me hungry just thinking about warm blueberry muffins sprinkled with sugar.  :P

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 07:14:33 am »
I can whip some up right quick !!!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 12:18:28 pm »
Muffineer....?..you don,t want to know what a Muffineer is in my home town.....suffice to say....its not a shaker..... ;D ;D ;D ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 01:38:39 pm »
Powdered Sugar shaker OR Talcum Powder shaker!!!  Muffineers typically had the shorter tops and resembled salt/pepper shakers and were more often used in "everyday" settings - more affordable by general population.

This is stylized after the English (or across the pond) version and were more in line with the Victorian style used for the fine tea time or the vanity.

Beautiful piece.  I have seen ornate designs on the bottom of the pieces over time...not considered a "norm"...but little details made for the feeling of "finer" things.

From the quantity of holes I would lean towards a sugar shake...however, the talcum powder shakers could have just as many!  They weren't used just by the ladies either!

Ladies (still being made!)   Lady Primrose Glass Powder Shaker with Silver Plated Top (Etsy)

I personally have several silver sugar shakers with only one crystal and silver shaker (which is definitely easier to maintain than all silver).

To help back up the raised lid style, take a look at this salt shaker/sugar shaker database...they are typically flat to slightly raised (for granulated sugar).
Antique Glass Salt and Sugar Shaker Club (AGSSSC)
http://www.antiquesaltshakers2.com/agssscIDIntro.html

This is used for POWDERED SUGAR or Talcum Powder!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 01:44:09 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Packman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 01:49:27 pm »
I've sold a few sugar shakers or "muffineers" on ebay. Some of the hand painted ones can be worth a good bit. Most of mine have sold around the $15-$20 mark. I have had a few get into the $30s.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 02:09:56 pm »
Thanks KC That would make sense. As I stated earlier there was a white powdery residue inside. I was not going to taste it just in case someone re purposed it into a borax shaker for ants or something. That is the exact one in the picture 

Bigwull, wasn't that a book called the Three Muffineers? There is some food for thought for you.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 02:12:29 pm by frogpatch »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 02:10:35 pm »
Muffineer....?..you don,t want to know what a Muffineer is in my home town.....suffice to say....its not a shaker..... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ah, would that be female of certain...abilities?....we can say no more on this G rated forum!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 06:18:55 pm »
It is new. I see them on sale with powder in them by Lady Primrose. Even us old time dealers get fooled sometimes. This is twice in one week though. It was only a buck. My wife does not care, she is putting turbinado sugar in it. I think is is too moist to shake out. What do you think? I bet Mart the muffin lady knows. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 06:30:20 pm »
It is well worth more than that!!!!

I would use it in a heartbeat!!!!

I would use it for turbinado, sprinkles, etc....  I would even use it for a dry Parmesan cheese!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 07:40:35 pm »
Oh no. Not shake on cheese. As in the green cardboard tube?