Author Topic: Was this Bridge a Good Buy  (Read 4449 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Was this Bridge a Good Buy
« on: June 12, 2013, 07:04:29 pm »
I was on a dinner cruise around Manhattan when I found this bridge. There were actually two but I liked this one. I goes from Manhattan to Brooklyn. I took this picture of it. Coincidentally. a man and his girlfriend (bottom left) who noticed me admiring it told me that the mans great grandfather designed it in and it opened in 1883. His name was Roebling. Well this guy told me that he wanted to sell it because he was tired of people calling him looking for Johnny Maestro who is departed. So I gave him a deposit to hold it for me. He only wanted 300 thousand dollars for it. He said I could get a bridge loan from a bank. I looked on line and he was right, banks very often give bridge loans. He said if I put up a toll booth I could get my money back in a week or two. He also said I would get residual rights to I Heard You're Getting Married and other songs. I have a couple questions however. How much would it cost to build a toll booth? How much should I pay a toll taker or should I take my own tolls?  Is it really old or is it a reproduction? It looked old to me but I am not a bridge person.  Thanks

mart

• View Profile
Re: Was this Bridge a Good Buy
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 09:05:41 pm »
OK !!  That's it !!  Bar is closed !!! Frogpatch is over his limit !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 09:47:28 pm »
You're really on a roll aren't you? First a shaker with oversized holes, then a bridge named after someplace in the Netherlands. Don't worry, I think with some thoughtful planning you will be able to average out both purchases.
Toll booth / toll taker? I wouldn't consider either. Why would you spend good money on something you don't need? All you need is a few of what they call a "water butt" in Scotland. Cut a small hole in the side and you've got yourself a "Toll Butt". Then paint up a couple of signs that say: "Bridge Toll 5 cents...Please insert nickel in butt h___...Thank You."
Since people are generally trustworthy, why not allow the honor system to do the work for you?
Good Luck! :D

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 09:54:04 pm »
I know we're not a 'buy & sell' forum , but I got a pal who can broker that deal for ya @ half-price , frogpatch .....
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 11:04:15 pm »
Own much swamp land in Florida?
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 03:54:06 am »
No but I passed on the swampland in New Jersey. We call it Meadowlands.
Bigwull, for you guys who only have that bridge in London that keeps falling down in the song, this is the Brooklyn Bridge. It was opened in 1883. 27 workers were killed building it. It was the longest expansion bridge in its day. Johnny Maestro named his band after it. Us oldies but goodies remember his first group as the Crests and the hit song Sixteen Candles. He died last year at 70. He was never out of work in over 50 years. I wish I could say the same.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 04:53:22 am »
Bigwull, for you guys who only have that bridge in London that keeps falling down in the song, this is the Brooklyn Bridge. It was opened in 1883. 27 workers were killed building it. It was the longest expansion bridge in its day. Johnny Maestro named his band after it. Us oldies but goodies remember his first group as the Crests and the hit song Sixteen Candles. He died last year at 70. He was never out of work in over 50 years. I wish I could say the same.
proof of the pudding....you can buy anything...if you,ve got enough money.....that bridge that keeps falling down is now in Arizona....see link...

http://londonist.com/2013/04/londonbridge.php
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 05:30:41 am »
proof of the pudding....you can buy anything...if you,ve got enough money.....that bridge that keeps falling down is now in Arizona....see link...

http://londonist.com/2013/04/londonbridge.php

and has been for some time! Jeez, keep up!!

Other than that I am taking this post absolutely seriously. I'd love to by that bridge, but where would I put it? We're bought up to the point that if we buy one bridge, we have to sell another one to make room.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 05:38:09 am by ghopper1924 »
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 07:32:23 am »
I will keep it for you as long as I can collect the tolls a get a cut. There is a great flea market right beneath it so you may want to pay a visit to Brooklyn. While you are in the area stop by here. I am having a post Sandy boardwalk sale. Not on the boardwalk, I am selling pieces of it. Take your pick of Seaside Heights or Point Pleasant Beach. A little reassembly is required. Imagine having your own authentic boardwalk in your back yard. Be the envy of you neighbors. Set up your own rigged wheel and take all their money. Even open a Fish n Chips stand.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 08:29:20 am »
these boardwalks.....do they burn...... ;D

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 09:09:56 am »
I didn't have to pay for mine was a gift. And, there's no maintenance.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:13:10 am by greenacres »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 09:50:40 am »
I didn't have to pay for mine was a gift. And, there's no maintenance.
looks like something Werner von Braun...would have made as a child.....or it would,nt be out of place...in a Roman temple.... ;D

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 09:52:55 am »
 ;D Old version of "Empire State Building".

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 10:04:54 am »
Its mine he cried...all mine..... ;D ;D ;D

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile