Author Topic: 1910 Wellington Cable Co of Chicago Upright Piano  (Read 4234 times)

volz1683

• View Profile
1910 Wellington Cable Co of Chicago Upright Piano
« on: June 12, 2013, 11:34:14 pm »
Hi there. I am having a tough tome finding anymore info on the Cable Co of Chicago. This is a 1910 Wellington. Beautiful craftsmanship and wood. I believe it's Mahogany. Is oak or mahogany different depending on value because I have seen some oak uprights online and cannot find any more info. I would appreciate some help. Thanks to all

Ipcress

Re: 1910 Wellington Cable Co of Chicago Upright Piano
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 03:05:09 am »
There's one on Craigslist for $20.

As ever with instruments, it depends on what we cannot see - the sound - and whether restoration is required.

There are a few different models of this upright and this one appears to be standard. I'd be surprised if you could get more than a couple of hundred even in pristine condition. I've seen someone asking $9,800 online which is a joke !

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 02:50:41 pm »
Sadly Ipcress is right !! You can`t give these things away no matter what it is made of !! Restored and excellent condition maybe $200. !! I have one here, Eberhardt brand, Chicago,,oak case free to good home !!

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 12:34:15 am »
I just helped someone sell theirs. It was a Werner, but from the same time period and from Chicago. She went onto fame in the 1950s as one of the original Mouseketeers. She learned to sing and dance with that piano. All that history, a semi-famous name, and we couldn't even give it away. She paid someone to haul it away.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 04:32:41 am »
I once paid $1 for an upright piano …. cause I was the highest bidder at the auction.

A friend thought it was so funny that he offered to haul it home for me.

I thought it was funny too ….. because over the next decade+ …. I surely earned 1,000+% on my investment, ……. which was my original intent and the reason I bought it.

You wouldn’t believe the amount of “hardware” that can be salvaged out of an old piano that is no longer available for purchasing in retail stores ….. and is perfectly authentic for renovating vintage and antique furniture, etc. …. and/or making reproductions.

HA, as y'all know, the 2nd thing an "expert" appraiser looks at ..... is the hardware. ;D ;D