Author Topic: Chairs? What should I sell them for?  (Read 2516 times)

daydreamzz

• View Profile
Chairs? What should I sell them for?
« on: June 15, 2013, 09:11:16 am »
So I need to sell these chairs- I got them off craigslist a few years back. I reupholstered them myself and they're very sturdy. The cushions are horse hair and it looks like brackets on the bottom had been added to add stability to them. What should I sell them for? I'm not sure if they're "antiques" or just old?

mart

• View Profile
Re: Chairs? What should I sell them for?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 09:28:28 am »
I think the brackets are original,, appear to be Mid Century classroom type chairs !! Also used in diners and many other businesses where chairs would get a lot of hard use !!  They are good sturdy oak and might sell well at $25 to $30. each or so !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 11:11:39 am »
just be thankful you are not in the UK...maybe £2 /4 a piece...or $3/$6...if you,re lucky.....i bougth 8 + a dining table ...for £6 + 20% commision.......and am chopping them up for kindling....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

daydreamzz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 08:53:17 am »
Thanks for the feedback! Although I have one person saying I could get $30 apiece and another saying I should burn them for firewood? Anyone else have any input?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 10:09:25 am »
I think the brackets are original,, appear to be Mid Century classroom type chairs !! Also used in diners and many other businesses where chairs would get a lot of hard use !!  They are good sturdy oak and might sell well at $25 to $30. each or so !!
you,re needing your eyes tested ...again....if you think the brackets are original....they,ve been added much later....they look like 2in galvanised angle brackets....and they,ve been screwed on with  Philips head screws....which are non original to this chair....i,d even go as far to say..that they were probably put on when the seats were being refurbished...as the chairs were most likely a bit rickety....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 10:22:30 am »
you,re needing your eyes tested ...again....if you think the brackets are original....they,ve been added much later....they look like 2in galvanised angle brackets....and they,ve been screwed on with  Philips head screws....which are non original to this chair....i,d even go as far to say..that they were probably put on when the seats were being refurbished...as the chairs were most likely a bit rickety....

Mid century chairs Wullie !!  We had all that stuff back then !!  I have restored many chairs like these !! From schools, churches, cafés ect !! They all had the brackets !!  We had similar chairs when I was in school band class but green vinyl upholstery !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 10:54:35 am »
I think the brackets are original,, appear to be Mid Century classroom type chairs !! Also used in diners and many other businesses where chairs would get a lot of hard use !!  They are good sturdy oak and might sell well at $25 to $30. each or so !!
you,re needing your eyes tested ...again....if you think the brackets are original....they,ve been added much later....they look like 2in galvanised angle brackets....and they,ve been screwed on with  Philips head screws....which are non original to this chair....i,d even go as far to say..that they were probably put on when the seats were being refurbished...as the chairs were most likely a bit rickety....

Mid century chairs Wullie !!  We had all that stuff back then !!  I have restored many chairs like these !! From schools, churches, cafés ect !! They all had the brackets !!  We had similar chairs when I was in school band class but green vinyl upholstery !!
we are only 13 years into this century....so i trust you mean 50,s....those angle brackets are nit 63 years old, and neither are those cross heade screws....they look like they were put in last week.....furthermor e if those angle brackets were original....why then are they only on one side....these my Dear Mart....are what we call ..mending brackets.....
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 10:56:54 am by bigwull »

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 11:59:04 am »
Hmmm...Any chairs I've seen over the years that came with factory braces / brackets had ones that looked like this...http://www.osh.com/eng/product/national_chair_corner_brace_antique_brass/6845648

That said, I would say that the chairs would bring $15-$20 each in my area.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 12:48:08 pm »
I think these are classed as Institutional or School chairs !! Some say reinforced and some don`t !!  Many small Café`s used them when I was a kid !!  A lot of them around in the 70`s !!  Good thing is,, they are almost indestructible !!  Most were red oak !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 04:35:09 pm »
and they make great kindling.... ;D