Author Topic: Two Weekend Whatsits  (Read 13401 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Two Weekend Whatsits
« on: June 17, 2013, 02:57:45 pm »
Hi Everyone. This weekend my wife and I drove to the Allenwood General store which is a combination of a laid back eatery with an antique store/pickers paradise blended together. You can sit in mismatched old chairs and tables and have a very reasonably priced and well prepared breakfast or lunch with patrons that arrive by car, or by bicycle as the store sit at the end of the bike trail that runs ten miles from the beach town of Manasquan. Most people on their way from the Garden State Parkway to the beaches do not even know that the remnants of this sleepy little historic village exists a couple miles of off Rte 34.
We arrived at the "clean out for renovation sale" on the second day and greeted by piles of everything. There were no less than 12 wooden carpet sweepers. There was stuff inside and outside ranging from great country furniture to those things that might have been better left at the curb. There was something for everyone

I was talking with the owner and telling him I was going to post this one item on the site as a whatsit and he pulled out another. So here they are.

If you look at the row of stuff in one picture you will see a whitish item, that has a crank handle. It is all wood except for the handle and it measures 32 inches long at the base and 14 inches high. I bought it so I can post a better picture if you want. I know what it is because I had one before and someone told me.

The other item is this thing that is standing alone. It has a foot pedal that operates a clamping device that only opens and closes about an inch or so. It is made to operate standing up. The owner told me what he was told it is. I had no clue. Mart probably has one that she still uses.

If you are ever exit the GS Parkway at exit 98 and are heading towards Point Pleasant take the first right before the Lukoil Station and check out the Allenwood General Store. You can get a breakfast sandwich for 3.00 and maybe find a bargain too. You can also avoid all the traffic to the beach on RT 34 if someone at the store will tell you. I would but its a hanging offense in these parts.  
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 03:05:41 pm by frogpatch »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Two Weekend Whatsits
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 04:29:35 pm »
Frogpatch,, I have never seen such critters,, I don`t think ?? Of course bottom one is blurred when I enlarged it and the white one is partly covered up by whats in front !! You got me !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 04:42:51 pm »
we have places like that over here....they,re  called ...junk yards....or as we know them locally ...as the scrappies....i.e. scrap merchant....in the 50,s .they used to be called ...the rag & bone man..... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 05:08:29 pm »
I love places like that !!  Only problem is when you leave,, you keep wondering what you missed !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 06:03:52 pm »
The last one looks like large box stapler.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 06:16:51 pm »
Bigwull,
I only photographed the stuff on the lot. The good stuff was mostly inside. There was a wainscot cabinet inside with H hinges that had the original green paint which was only marked $225.00  It was only eight inches deep, yet 7 feet tall and about 48 inches wide. I know I could have bought it for 150.00. I just don't have the room.

Mart, I am sorry but I took that photo with my cell phone in bad light while I was speaking with the proprietor. My hands are not as still as I like them sometimes. Here is a picture of the thing that I bought for 8.00. It had a price tag of 7.00 from years ago. First time I ever talked someone up. The little screw eye and where I live might help you. Sorry but even this one is a bit fuzzy.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 06:19:18 pm by frogpatch »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 06:34:39 pm »
I love places like that !!  Only problem is when you leave,, you keep wondering what you missed !!
don,t ever come to Scotland then.....as you.d never get back home............... here,s somewhere you can browse...the woman who owns this place shares her husband with his girlfriend...and they all live happily under the one roof....the one thing you can,t live with are her  prices..... http://www.steptoesyard.com/category.php?id_category=19....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 06:35:16 pm »
I have seen something similar for cleaning/sizing shellfish !! But this doesn't have an opening !! And can`t tell how wide the slots are !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 06:41:00 pm »
Bigwull,
I only photographed the stuff on the lot. The good stuff was mostly inside. There was a wainscot cabinet inside with H hinges that had the original green paint which was only marked $225.00  It was only eight inches deep, yet 7 feet tall and about 48 inches wide. I know I could have bought it for 150.00. I just don't have the room.

Mart, I am sorry but I took that photo with my cell phone in bad light while I was speaking with the proprietor. My hands are not as still as I like them sometimes. Here is a picture of the thing that I bought for 8.00. It had a price tag of 7.00 from years ago. First time I ever talked someone up. The little screw eye and where I live might help you. Sorry but even this one is a bit fuzzy.
looks like a tombola thingymajig.....

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 07:02:28 pm »
Bigwull,

WTF? Your next one WTF?  You must be hanging out with Nancy again. Its OK we can share her. People in the U.S. have no idea what I am saying but I know you do.

Mart, There is a little less than 3 inches between the slats. I will give you another clue.  Nothing ever went inside it. Although I may turn it vertical and make light fixture out of it. My wife will really like that idea. No. But think about it. I think it would look .....different. If I bought it, it must have to do with something I am interested in like cooking, or fishing, or buying old stuff to give to the thrift store. Not the third and it is not for drying pasta, although that is not a bad idea.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 09:57:28 pm »
Sure do know what your saying. Very common lingo here. ;D

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 05:15:25 am »
Greenacres, the forum topic list showed you had the last post at 11:57 last night but there is no post on the forum. At least not one that I can see. The last post I saw form you was referring to a box stapler. That is a good guess. It is basically just a table with a clamp for holding a thin item upright.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 06:47:23 am »
I was just saying I understood your lingo.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 09:15:13 am »
I can see and handle...is it for winding/unwinding twine, fishing line, etc?

I love coming across these kind of places!!!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:35:02 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 09:19:52 am »
I give up !!  Will probably feel like a total ninny when I find out what they are !!