Author Topic: Two Weekend Whatsits  (Read 13403 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Two Weekend Whatsits
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2013, 10:11:46 am »
a few years ago, whilst i was touring Europe..on my motorcycle....No,Avril in tow...she hated bikes....i met some Greeks...who came from the island of Samos...they said that if i was ever over in Greece...i would be welcome to stay at there house....well, a couple of years later,i got a one off job..of delivering a high spec Toyota Landcruiser...to a guy who lived in Izmir..in Turkey...to get there it was a 6 day drive,with 3 ferry crossings,..one of which was from Samos...to Kusadasi...in Turkey....to cut a long story short, i arrived on the door step of these Greeks...who made me very welcome....as my connecting ferry was 2 days away..i had time to relax....the next day, Yannis.....asked me if i,d like to go snorkelling....whil st he went scuba diving...for our lunch...so off we went, we arrived at a little jetty on the far side of the island, he had a small boat....and off we sailed,he anchored just offshore, and then told me just to enjoy myself, and that he,d be gone around 1/2 an hour...so in i went,and it was brilliant, warm clear water,.when he returned he had a net bag that contained 2 Octopus...and about a dozen or more Anemone,s.

when we got back to his house..he prepared lunch,i shied away from the octopus...but was willing to give the anemone,s a try, he told me that to enjoy them at their best,they had to be eated live,...he mixed up some fresh lemon juice with a little olive oil,...spooned a little into the anemone shell, then handed me a chunk of fresh baked bread,and showed me what to do....The taste was awesome....
the next day, we went to a cafe in the village, whilst there, i saw.a newspaper headline, which was on a Reuters newspaper...."local man attacked by Great White"...i asked Yannis what this was about,and he told me that a fisherman,on the island had,been attacked by a Great White, whilst,sitting with his legs dangling over his boat...when i asked him..where this had happened..he laughed...and said...about 2 kms from where i was swimming....and that Great Whites were common in the Med,and in fact they bred,between Turkey and Cyprus....suffice to say..i,ve never been in a sea since.....see pic of the anemone.....,
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2013, 11:08:52 am »
And that, kids, is how an innocent Great White shark almost wound up in mean old Uncle Wullie 's belly.  ;D
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2013, 12:57:09 pm »
Wow! Never had anemone!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2013, 02:25:23 pm »
Still doesn't sound like anything matches a good old fashioned Lutefisk feed! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6o_8H3IVo

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2013, 02:43:18 pm »
Don,t ever mention Lutefisk to me again......

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2013, 08:19:54 pm »
A quote from Garrison Keillor's book - "Lake Wobegon Days"

Every Advent we entered the purgatory of lutefisk, a repulsive gelatinous fishlike dish that tasted of soap and gave off an odor that would gag a goat. We did this in honor of Norwegian ancestors, much as if survivors of a famine might celebrate their deliverance by feasting on elm bark. I always felt the cold creeps as Advent approached, knowing that this dread delicacy would be put before me and I'd be told, "Just have a little." Eating a little was like vomiting a little, just as bad as a lot.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2013, 10:14:19 pm »
Doesn't tempt me!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2013, 12:24:03 pm »
Wouldn`t like anything that was a star on Bizarre Foods !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2013, 02:46:29 pm »
What no chocolate covered ants? ;D
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2013, 03:25:40 am »
What no chocolate covered ants? ;D
actually they are quite tasty....as is fire pit baked hedgehog..or boiled ..pigs head brawn....Avrils favourite is Sea Whelks....boiled live in salted water....then hooked out with a pin, collected onto a plate,add a dash of malt vinegar... then stuck between two slices of buttered bread,....the first time i saw her, hooking them out of their shell....I said..they look like" bogies" wi helmets on.....she almost puked at that..... ;D.....and just in case some of you don,t know what a bogie wi its helmet on looks like...see link

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=whelks&newwindow=1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Em3FUZzVG6ed0AXpyoHYAQ&ved=0CDcQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=639
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 04:52:28 am by bigwull »

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2013, 12:42:38 pm »
I just had lunch and I open this up to a pic of someone hurling. Thanks Wullie.

Back on topic. We returned to that sale again early this AM and I got some better photos of that thing that is supposed to be a saw blade vice. As well as another whatsit. When Wifey comes home from having lunch and drinks on the dock, on this lovely sunny 78 degree day with her friend, while I write web pages on automated driveway gates, I will get her cell phone and post the pictures. That may be tomorrow because as soon as I am done I am having my own happy hour.

By the way she is eating squid. She calls it calamari. I use it for bait. It does taste good deep fried; but what doesn't?  

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2013, 01:45:28 pm »
I just had lunch and I open this up to a pic of someone hurling. Thanks Wullie.

Back on topic. We returned to that sale again early this AM and I got some better photos of that thing that is supposed to be a saw blade vice. As well as another whatsit. When Wifey comes home from having lunch and drinks on the dock, on this lovely sunny 78 degree day with her friend, while I write web pages on automated driveway gates, I will get her cell phone and post the pictures. That may be tomorrow because as soon as I am done I am having my own happy hour.

By the way she is eating squid. She calls it calamari. I use it for bait. It does taste good deep fried; but what doesn't?  
Not my fault....you can thank Rauville....me..i just did what i do best......hope you enjoyed your lunch.... ;D

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2013, 05:06:39 am »
Here are the new pictures. Much better detail. Please tell me what you think.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2013, 07:54:44 am »
Oh!!.....its one of them.....

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2013, 09:24:26 am »