Author Topic: Two Weekend Whatsits  (Read 13402 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Two Weekend Whatsits
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2013, 07:53:58 am »
Nothing. I don't own it. I just want to know what it is. The owner swears its for sharpening saws because some local old timer said his father had one. I have my doubts. He wants 125.00 for it. It would serve me no purpose and I have no use for conversation pieces. I can hold a conversation on my own without a piece.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2013, 08:04:58 am »
frogpatch is the metal bit a clamp......as in has two jaws?  I've come across pics of several saw sharpening vises and wondering if this was constructed purposely.......to hold a blade at a specific/preferred angle for the user.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2013, 08:24:01 am »
Nothing. I don't own it. I just want to know what it is. The owner swears its for sharpening saws because some local old timer said his father had one. I have my doubts. He wants 125.00 for it. It would serve me no purpose and I have no use for conversation pieces. I can hold a conversation on my own without a piece.
oh, i dunno....there,s nowt better than a straberry jam piece...there yummy.... ;D...and jist in case ye dinnae ken wit a jam piece is...its twa slices o, bread wi strawberry jam spread over one side, an the twa slices stuck the gither.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2013, 03:35:48 pm »
oh, i dunno....there,s nowt better than a straberry jam piece...there yummy.... ;D...and jist in case ye dinnae ken wit a jam piece is...its twa slices o, bread wi strawberry jam spread over one side, an the twa slices stuck the gither.... ;D

You forgot the butter !!! :D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2013, 05:04:26 pm »
em no allowed butter....it to fattening....marg does me fine..... :D

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2013, 07:32:49 pm »
Sapphire, first of all my father use to call my mother Sapphire after what the Kingfish in Amos n Andy used to call his wife. You are probably not that old to remember that TV show or radio show.. It would never fly today as it was a bit racist.
Yes there are two blades that form a clamp. You step down on the pedal and the blades clamp down on something that is flat.

Mart, You actually can understand what he is saying and what it refers to? "stuck the gither?" I kind of get it but what does it have to do with. Oh wait I think I am getting it. A piece is a sandwich. I learned that in the movie Geordie, a 1955 classic with  Biil Travers, Allistair Sims and Norah Gorsen. So one of jam would be a way to have a conversation. They are yummy. Butter is better for you than marg Wullie. Marg is full of trans fat, at least in the US. Butter may be high in sat fat but look how healthy Mart is along with other farming people.   

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2013, 07:41:33 pm »
Yeah !!  Scary isn`t it !!  I do know what he is saying !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2013, 03:29:13 am »
spare a thought fur pare me...trying tae get ma heid roond,..misspelt words...an wonderin what the hell hoosiers were,...an haen tae convert back tae feet an inches...and then there yer gas,....it comes oot oh meh cooker but you stick it in yer truck.... :D...as fur me liking marg..well, what i should have said was, its made from olive oil....as i do know that marg is one step away from plastic....

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2013, 05:09:48 am »
but its only a half-step away from being diesel fuel for yer vehicle.  :D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2013, 05:17:12 am »
Oh, i know all about that,...i used to run my truck on veggie oil,,mixed with diesel,usually 60/40 in favour of diesel,...also used recycled veggie oil,from restaurants,/chip shops etc.....it worked, only downside was i smelt like a fish/chip shop driving up the road.... :D

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2013, 05:41:05 am »
Sapphire, first of all my father use to call my mother Sapphire after what the Kingfish in Amos n Andy used to call his wife. You are probably not that old to remember that TV show or radio show.. It would never fly today as it was a bit racist.
Yes there are two blades that form a clamp. You step down on the pedal and the blades clamp down on something that is flat.

frogpatch I was looking at the angle of the clamps I found and although they can be changed (most are swivel/ball joint) they still seem to keep the blade in a near upright position. I watched my dad sharpen his saws squatting on the outside steps with the say lain across his knees, sharpening away from himself, rather than in the upward position most of those clamps would see to require. That's what got me wondering if yours was made/altered specifically for or by someone who found it more comfortable or easier to work with.

As for Amos and Andy.........I do remember the last years  ;) Sapphire was dad's nickname for me........lord only knows where he came up with that, certainly wasn't from my big brown eyes.  :D

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2013, 06:11:39 am »
Here are the new pictures. Much better detail. Please tell me what you think.

Well now, it has the same type of “jaws” as a saw-sharpening vice (see pic below) …… but unless that “foot pedal” is a locking mechanism to hold the saw blade FIRMLY in place …. then I don’t think it is a “saw sharpening” bench.

Now I have never heard of one but it could be a “tin-bender’s” workbench because he used a lot of different tools …… whereas a saw-sharpener only needed 2 tools.