Author Topic: 1934 chicago worlds fair  (Read 1998 times)

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
1934 chicago worlds fair
« on: June 17, 2013, 06:05:28 pm »
I imagine things from the 1934 chicago worlds fair were at one time a big deal, but has the market gone soft?  Just curious what values these may bring, I listed on ebay starting at 20.00.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: 1934 chicago worlds fair
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 06:45:25 pm »
Are those coasters? Unfortunately the 34 Worlds Fair is no ones nostalgia right now except for those who are really old and they are not buyers. It has also not become an event that history buffs are interested in. The 64 Worlds Fair does not even command high prices right now, because boomers like me are trying to shed, not accumulate, due to the economy. If you were to find a super Art Deco poster from either fair that would be a different story. People want designer pieces from that era more than just souvenir items. You will find collectors looking for that rare item and only they know what it is. Put it up for the twenty and see where it goes. Hopefully you will be surprised. I will never forget those items that sold for ten times what I thought. It has happened a number of times. I never expected a paper bag that said Pepsi Cola would bring 125.00 but it did.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 07:53:40 pm »
Frogpatch is right !! But to tell the truth,, the whole market is soft right now !! I have seen a downward spiral in many items that before would have done well !!  Many antique wooden items that a month ago were selling between $60. and $125. are now at half that or less !! Only thing that has stayed up are advertising items !! Porcelain signs, anything automotive, vintage oil cans ect !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 08:52:34 pm »
You are so right Mart. Think of who has the disposable income right now. Not you or me but collectors of old cars, advertising and toys from the 70s and 80s that we know little about. Even tin toys from the 50s have become weak. Like everyone has said, buy what you like and it does not matter. The 30 somethings will catch on soon I hope. It is however a great time to buy for the near future. I believe prices will rise soon due to a celebrity that takes an interest. Martha Stewart (the other Martha) drove the price of jadeite through the roof and Warhol made cookie jars the hottest thing of the late eighties when his collection sold for a quarter of a million dollars. It will happen again. Just be their when it does. I made a lot of money off of hammered aluminum when it went from cold to hot. Now it it is cold. Whats next? I would bank on designer womens clothes accessorizes right now. Not my forte unfortunately.

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 09:33:52 pm »
appreciate it frogpatch, hi mart, thanks too.   Funny who makes history important now....

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 07:58:05 am »
You are so right Mart. Think of who has the disposable income right now. Not you or me but collectors of old cars, advertising and toys from the 70s and 80s that we know little about. Even tin toys from the 50s have become weak. Like everyone has said, buy what you like and it does not matter. The 30 somethings will catch on soon I hope. It is however a great time to buy for the near future. I believe prices will rise soon due to a celebrity that takes an interest. Martha Stewart (the other Martha) drove the price of jadeite through the roof and Warhol made cookie jars the hottest thing of the late eighties when his collection sold for a quarter of a million dollars. It will happen again. Just be their when it does. I made a lot of money off of hammered aluminum when it went from cold to hot. Now it it is cold. Whats next? I would bank on designer womens clothes accessorizes right now. Not my forte unfortunately.

Just a comment on prices: We went to an auction over the weekend that consisted of the basement contents of an old hardware store that had opened in the 1890's. The outdated inventory that hadn't sold over the past 80 years seemed to attract a lot of interest.
For example: A wooden keg of NOS harness buckles, etc. $85; NOS 10 gallon cream cans $55 ea; NOS well pump handles $20 ea; 10" Watts pottery bowls $50 ea.

We did buy a couple of things; A wooden shipping box (dated 1923), filled with NOS weathervane parts, including a large Running Horse and a large Cow with the directional arrows.
Another item was a nice double sided porcelain sign in the original wooden shipping crate, dated 1941.
I would say we payed retail prices...but I'm planning on having an interesting estate auction someday myself. ;)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 09:08:19 am »
I have been noticing the slump as well.  I have been following some items for over 6 months on ebay that would have normally sold quickly.  They keep being relisted. They have changed to best offers included...and no offers.  I finally made a low  offer on one and they didn't even have the courtesy to decline it! :( 

One of them pulled the trick that happens in stores.....the items were listed for $199 for over 8 months and was just relisted for $299/best offer.  Still no activity.

However, my great buy was in Louisiana.  Dragged my family to a couple of places and came across  a buffet serving set (3 pieces silverplated, holds forks, spoons and knives).  I bought the exact one 20 years ago for my sis-n-law, since she has to entertain alot being the wife of a high ranking officer.  They were priced for $20 and they only charged me $10 - said they were having a sale!  I paid $60 years ago!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 11:05:59 am »
Lucky you KC !!  I have been watching pretty closely to see what trends upward in the near future !!