Author Topic: Help with oil painting please.  (Read 7184 times)

Ipcress

Re: Help with oil painting please.
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 03:20:23 pm »
Ok thanks Mart. I know the other name on there is J. Jaures, with an accent above the e. I don't have the picture in front of me at the moment as it is at my Mothers house in France. But I will ask her what the numbers say tomorrow. I thought the picture is of a Boulogne sur Seine scene, Dauphine Place. And that maybe Monsieur Jaures had framed the painting at sometime? Does this sound right to you?

In 1924, Boulogne-sur-Seine was officially renamed Boulogne-Billancourt. That is as much as I know so far.

(After enlarging the photos it looks like 847blo bld but I will have to confirm.)

Melodie, the label is the artists label. His name, his address ( Boulevard Jean Jaures ) and the title of the painting " Place Dauphines " ( view of the same shops from further along the street, similar to your link http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/03/19/23/83/place-dauphine.jpg )

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 03:24:43 pm »
Just a bit of information....many people paint pictures of places that they have never seen/visited but have seen pictures of.  The market today is flooded with French decorative items that are selling right and left reinforcing this.

If you take an art class, they have you paint samples from different periods in time.  Doesn't make their items that old.

The back of yours doesn't look that old (100 years).

the style is reminiscent of those sold in 40's to 50's.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Melodie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 03:42:24 pm »
Good point KC. I do know where this picture has been and how it has been stored for 40 but before that is anyone's guess.

Thanks Ipcress you are a star  :)
It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

Melodie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 03:44:33 pm »
So KC do you think the label on the back is a fake? It is definitely 1924 that this town name was changed.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 03:49:10 pm »
The clothing in the painting seems a little later. The women is wearing a short dress and coat, and the little boys clothing is not from the time period. That's from what I can see. It could be my eyes are bad.
your eyes are ok G,acre....that womans clothing looks more 1950,s....and the little girl looks to be wearing a cloak style coat.....i think this has been painted for the tourist market.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 03:51:43 pm »
Thanks Wullie, I know I need an eye doctors appt.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

Ipcress

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 03:54:07 pm »
So KC do you think the label on the back is a fake? It is definitely 1924 that this town name was changed.

The label is not fake. People still refer to it as Boulogne Sur Seine.

Melodie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 03:58:37 pm »
Thank you. I think I will give up on the artist but I have certainly got plenty of info. Thanks again everyone.

Ipcress

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 04:22:29 pm »
Thank you. I think I will give up on the artist but I have certainly got plenty of info. Thanks again everyone.

Skobodzinski. Different spelling could be due to not knowing the English spelling of the surname.

Seen that happen before.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 06:05:56 pm »
At least Ipcress knows the area !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 06:10:05 pm »
Let's figure out what the label says...
Artist's Name
Location of Subject Painted
Title of Painting

Is that correct?

I don't believe the label is "fake".  Just feel it was a label for the store/artist who was selling it.
The last name on the painting is a common name...and the label looks as if the artist could be G. Skobodzinski?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 06:18:07 pm »
Artist's Name
Title of Painting

Is that correct?

I don't believe the label is "fake".  Just feel it was a label for the store/artist who was selling it.
The last name on the painting is a common name...and the label looks as if the artist could be G. Skobodzinski?

We had to label all of ours for Gallery shows !! Pretty much same info !!  I think this one is a mid century starving artist piece !!  Maybe 40`s or so !!

Ipcress

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2013, 06:32:25 pm »
Artist's Name
Title of Painting

Is that correct?

Artists Name
Artists address

Title of painting.

The location is in the centre of Paris. The artist lived a few miles away in a cheaper district

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2013, 09:49:39 pm »
Oooohhhh got it.  Artist's address was  
247 bis Boulevard Jean Jaurès  (It's still there!)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt, France!

Artsy neighborhood/area!

Still sticking with 40's timeline.....  

Still don't see where 1924 is on the label or frame!  Guess it is in invisible ink?  LOL

‎
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 09:55:34 pm by KC »

Melodie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2013, 01:17:44 am »
Invisible ink? how could anyone see that? am i missing something?

Can you see Boulogne sur seine on the label? This town changed its name in 1924!

Make sense yet? - Ok it has now been established that the town may still have been known locally by its old name at a later date. So it isn't definitive proof that the painting is older. You may well be right with the dates you have given. 40's 50's 60's. I am giving up now as I have gratefully received a lot of useful information from you all.

I may hand the picture to a Parisian friend to get it appraised, will let you know the outcome if I do. Would have been so much easier if mum retired somewhere in uk. At least I can make myself understood here and we have some great auction houses but I'm useless at French and I know little about French art history.

Thanks once again to everyone who participated. Moving on to next item now. Gorgeous piece of R Lalique glass. I don't need help with that just got to work out where is best to sell it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 01:23:00 am by Melodie »